• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

40 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have been tapped to bring a beet salad as a starter for a Thanksgiving luncheon for 10 people on Sunday.  I thought a mix of yellow, candy cane striped and red beets would be nice.  My question is, what is the best way to cook the beets, particularly the candy cane and yellow ones so they retain their colour?  Of late I have been using the Instant Pot to cook the beets but it washes out the colour.  Is roasting better?  Microwave?

I don't have a recipe but I'm thinking of serving it on spinach leaves and adding goat cheese and nuts.  Pecans maybe?  Maybe crispy deep fried onions for those who don't like nuts?  There are at least two of those.  If anyone wants to pass along their recipe I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Who needs the stress of color bleed on a holiday ;) I refer the regular red tossed with a nut oil if no allergies, olive if allergies. Tart orange juice as the acid. Toasted nuts are nice but I'd avoid the onion (you mean the canned fried?) as they will sog out on you. Toasted pepitas are also seasonal for crunch/contrast. Dress while warm for best absorption. As for beet cooking - I roast by preference, but nuked works. Just a touch of water lends a beet that is nicely of itself and not waterlogged at all. Covered. We like garlic but maybe not for a gathering.

heidih

heidih

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have been tapped to bring a beet salad as a starter for a Thanksgiving luncheon for 10 people on Sunday.  I thought a mix of yellow, candy cane striped and red beets would be nice.  My question is, what is the best way to cook the beets, particularly the candy cane and yellow ones so they retain their colour?  Of late I have been using the Instant Pot to cook the beets but it washes out the colour.  Is roasting better?  Microwave?

I don't have a recipe but I'm thinking of serving it on spinach leaves and adding goat cheese and nuts.  Pecans maybe?  Maybe crispy deep fried onions for those who don't like nuts?  There are at least two of those.  If anyone wants to pass along their recipe I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Who needs the stress of color bleed on a holiday ;) I refer the regular red tossed with a nut oil if no allergies, olive if allergies. Tart orange juice as the acid. Toasted nuts are nice but I'd avoid the onion (you mean the canned fried?) as they will sog out on you. Toasted pepitas are also seasonal for crunch/contrast. Dress while warm for best absorption. As for beet cooking - I roast by preference, but nuked works. Just a touch of water lends a beet that is nicely of itself and not waterlogged at all. Covered.