• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking through the Village

MJP

My girlfriend and I have been dying to do a little snacking tour through the Village. We went to Kati Rolls and Plumpling House a while back, and we're going to take a stab at our little tour this weekend. Does anyone know of any places we can go to get snacks or small, splittable meals/sandwiches that you like or are recommended? Anything's open for tasting to us.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

There are a lot of potential stops on the strip of Bleecker between 6th and 7th, including Murray's Cheese, Rocco's, Cones, and Amy's. Patisserie Claude is also nearby.

Some other random ideas: the new bing place on W 3d right off of 6th past the basketball courts. Peanut Butter Company can be sort of fun. Porto Rico for coffee. The Chocolate Bar....

What's this "new bing place?" Bing as in the cherry?

Does Murray's still let you take little tastes of the cheeses? I'd kill to buy a few small pieces just so the SO can have a proper cheese tasting.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

A few more things to add to your list:

Get a proscuitto roll at Faicco's Pork Store on Bleeker. It's sort of a bagel stuffed with proscuitto.

Split a donner kebab at Yatagan across from the Kati Roll place on McDougal.

Falafel is a great snack. I like Mamoun's, a little further up McDougal.

You can snack from the dosa cart in Washington Square Park.

Jamaican Flavors on Sullivan has patties and coco bread.

Don't forget Grey's Papaya.

If you are out for breakfast or brunch, go to San Panino on Hudson at Christopher and get the San Frittata. It is the world's best egg sandwich: frittata, mozzerella, arugula, tomato and olive spread on a crusty roll. The rest of the sandwiches are good too, but that is special.

I spend a lot of my life 'snacking through the village', so perhaps I can be of some assistance. I believe Plumpling has been replaced by a cupcake place, which was mediocre when I tried it shortly after opening.

The list below is in very rough order of South to North in location. A lot of the places have threads on egullet and chowhound if you want to read more. These are all places that are regularly in snacking tours of mine and my baby's:

1) Sullivan Street Bakery, now called something like Grandma Daisy's but the recipes tasted the same as of 2 weeks ago. Sullivan Street south of Spring. Get a piece of potato pizza.

2) DeMarco's pizza, Houston and Macdougal. Many will disagree, but the last time I had pizza there it was as good as the DiFara's pizza I had yesterday. The experience generally isn't that pleasant, but split a round or square slice. Even if the pie isn't fresh, I can always taste the quality ingredients.

3) 'ino, Bedford between 6th Ave and Downing. 2 glasses of Prosecco and either Truffled Egg Toast or 2 pesto bruschetta.

4) Ditch Plains, Bedford at Downing. Sit at the bar and share a half bottle of wine. Very reasonably priced wine list, all bottles available in half for exactly half the cost of a full bottle, and its open from 7 am 'til late.

5) Sparky's, Lafeyette near Bleeker and next to Bite. Share a chili cheese dog. Best dog I've ever had. Honest to God. I don't want to go to Grey's anymore.

6) Bing Place on north side of 3rd street near 6th Ave. If you eat pork, share a pork and chive bing. If not, a mixed veggie bing. Get a honeydew drink.

7) Pio Maya, south side of 8th bet. 5th and 6th. Get anything. I like the tamales.

8) Otto, 8th street and 5th ave. Sit at the bar, drink wine and eat olive oil gelato.

I'll stop now.. but I could go on :)

Enjoy.