• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falafel Stands in NJ

BunnySlippers

This place is driving me nuts. I wanted to look up the address and found that on yp.yahoo it is listed as Pizza Cave. I thought it was Crave, so I called them and asked, and yes, they said it is Pizza Cave. I edited several posts to reflect the correct name. Then we go there and the sign clearly says Pizza Crave, with the R. Whatever, they have good falafel. :wacko:

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

There's a little bit of a story to this - for a few months at the end of last year I was working out in San Jose, California with a few work colleagues (and commuting backwards and forwards to NJ every weekend... argh... but, that's another story). Anyway, our hotel was close to a place called the 'Falafel Drive-in'. This was very much a Californian style take out, with seats outside, and, more importantly, awesome falafel (as well as hummus etc). Anyway, turned out to be a weekly cheap dinner for a colleague and me.

Anyway, coming back to now, I developed a serious craving for falafel this weekend (does this sound odd?) - the first time since I finished the project in California. I'd driven past Jerusalem West on Mt. Pleasant in Livingston many times, and saw the big neon 'Falafel' sign on the outside, but just never got around to popping in.

Today was the day, and I have to say that my craving has now been satisfied :) My wife and I both had fafafel in pita, topped with Israeli salad, tahini and some hot sauce on the side. Delicious! I also picked up a side of hummus, also topped with tahini and some paprika sauce. Buying hummus like this always reminds me how poor the stuff is that you get in the supermarket!

Anyway, it definitely a thumbs up. The place was a very busy, which included a kid's birthday party, but the service was prompt. I will be going back next time I get a falafel craving!

Jason

My favorite falafel place is Beyond Pita in Montclair...it's on Church Street, but away from the 'main' part of Church--almost to Orange Road, right next to a Krauser's. Tiny little place that's takeout only (outdoor tables in warm weather), and they also make some pretty awesome hummus and tabbouleh.

Just another option in the area!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

:biggrin: Ah falafel! Back in central New Jersey, there used to be a Jerusalem Pizza in Highland Park (across the Raritan River from New Brunswick) on Raritan Ave. They’re closed Saturdays, of course. But, if it’s Israeli-style falafel you crave, it was almost as good as some of the places (most of which had the same moniker) I remember in Brooklyn. They had all kinds of side salads such as eggplant (Spanish and Greek), hummus (which is classified as a salad), olive salads, etc. And, naturally, they were kosher (dairy) complete with pizza though you won’t find any pepperoni! I say that in the past tense since we haven't been down there in a couple of years. I wonder if they’re still in business.

The supermarket stuff doesn't quite match what you can get in a restaurant (in most cases). However, if you're forced into supermarket-fare, we’ve found that the Sabra brand is the best for hummus, tehina, and other salads. Cedars brand which seems to be ubiquitous in the markets taste more like rancid mayonnaise by comparison.

Also Jerusalem Pizza in their other locations as well, such as:

Jerusalem Pizza, 231 Raritan Avenue, Highland Park, 732-828-9687

Jerusalem Pizza & Falafel 2, 233 Main Ave, Passaic, 973-778-0960

Jerusalem Pizza, 496 Cedar Lane, Teaneck, 201-836-2120

Jerusalem Restaurant, 150 Elmora Avenue, Elizabeth, 908-289-0291

Jerusalem Restaurant, 106 Norwood Avenue, Deal, 732-531-7936

Jerusalem West, 99 West Mount Pleasant Ave., Livingston, 973-533-1424 and other "falafel friendly area's" near you!

This link may help? http://www.israelim.com/kosher_NewJersey.htm

Also if it is still around:

Beyond Pita

82 Church St., Montclair

(973) 744-2115

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Also Jerusalem Pizza in their other locations as well, such as:

Jerusalem Pizza, 231 Raritan Avenue, Highland Park, 732-828-9687

Jerusalem Pizza & Falafel 2, 233 Main Ave, Passaic, 973-778-0960

Jerusalem Pizza, 496 Cedar Lane, Teaneck, 201-836-2120

Jerusalem Restaurant, 150 Elmora Avenue, Elizabeth, 908-289-0291

Jerusalem Restaurant, 106 Norwood Avenue, Deal, 732-531-7936

Jerusalem West, 99 West Mount Pleasant Ave., Livingston, 973-533-1424 and other "falafel friendly area's" near you!

This link may help? http://www.israelim.com/kosher_NewJersey.htm

Also if it is still around:

Beyond Pita

82 Church St., Montclair

(973) 744-2115

The one is Teaneck has been closed for about a year.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks for the Beyond Pita suggestion - I went there earlier in the week and picked up one of their falafel sandwiches. It was nice to see the falafel being freshly fried to work, and it certainly had a nice crispness to the outside!

Next time I go back I will have to try their Giro or Shawarma - any experiences with that?

Here's a shot of the falafel sandwich:

gallery_19431_2696_12124.jpg

Jason

edit: typo!

Edited by jb_973 (log)

• 2 years later...

OK, it's been a while since this thread was updated:

Chez Sima in Fair Lawn: The best Falafel I've had outside of Devorah's in Pardes Hanna, Israel (frequently won the national title there). Also, her soups and salads (Morrocan via Israel) are ingenius. Her passion is soups and continuously experiments, improves and widens her selection.

OK, it's been a while since this thread was updated:

Chez Sima in Fair Lawn:  The best Falafel I've had outside of Devorah's in Pardes Hanna, Israel (frequently won the national title there).  Also, her soups and salads (Morrocan via Israel) are ingenius.  Her passion is soups and continuously experiments, improves and widens her selection.

I can't believe there's someone else who knows Devorah's in Pardess Chana! I studied there for a year and every time I've gone back I have to pay a visit. No other falafel even comes close.

And to add something of value to this thread, Chez Sima's website: http://chezsima.com/

• 1 month later...