• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Homebrew Ingredients

Anni

I was cleaning out a cupboard in the basement and came across a sealed box of beermaking ingredients. -- estimated eight years old! (Yep, hubby was "getting around" to making that beer :blink: ) I've tossed about half the contents already, but was wondering if either of the following are still ok: hops in vacuum-sealed bags and a container of light malt extract. I'm thinking "garbage" -- yes?

Throw the stuff out. Homebrew ingredients are better fresher, much better. Hops are generally kept in oxygen barrier bags in a freezer; a homebrew shop I know had their freezer go down over a weekend and threw out all their hops since they couldn't be confident they're ok, i.e., have the bitterness and taste characteristics they should have. Malt extract, similarly, deteriorates over time.