• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines of the Languedoc

hollywood

Increasingly, reviewers are touting wines of this region. Increasingly, restaurants are offering them. But, when I go to the store (in LA), selection is slim, prices not the value reviewers have suggested. What gives? What's good and where can I get it for how much? :hmmm:

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

La Copa Santa you should be able to get at Woodland Hills wine shop. I got my Bronzinelle 98 from a store in Northern California that I found through "wine-searcher'.

It looks like Wine Exchange in Santa Ana has it cheap ($12).

beachfan

Living in London, the Languedoc represents some of the best value in wine, as exporting costs are low. The same may not be true in LA.\

The best Languedoc wines, such as Domaine de l'Hortus, Daumas Gassac, Mas Jullien, Grange de Peres and Domaine La Marfee are good value if priced under $30 (La Marfee, Grange de Peres, Daumas Gassac) or under $20 (Mas Julien, Domaine de l'Hortus). My guess is that California wines present much greater value in LA.

Living in London, the Languedoc represents some of the best value in wine, as exporting costs are low.  The same may not be true in LA.\

The best Languedoc wines, such as Domaine de l'Hortus, Daumas Gassac, Mas Jullien, Grange de Peres and Domaine La Marfee are good value if priced under $30 (La Marfee, Grange de Peres, Daumas Gassac) or under $20 (Mas Julien, Domaine de l'Hortus).  My guess is that California wines present much greater value in LA.

You are undoubtedly right about the value, but what can I do? Plotnicki has dissed California wines because they don't respect the terroir. The master has spoken.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Jardin des Sens' sommelier and partner (Olivier Chateau) played a significant role in the promulgation of Languedoc wines. While three-starred JDS in Montpellier is not a restaurant I like, its wine list has many interesting Languedoc wines. I would imagine zero-starred La Maison Blanche in Paris, established by the Pourcels as a less formal restaurant, would be a good place to sample Languedoc wines for potential purchase, if one were visiting Paris.

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Main/Fea...197,334,00.html

Living in London, the Languedoc represents some of the best value in wine, as exporting costs are low.  The same may not be true in LA.\

The best Languedoc wines, such as Domaine de l'Hortus, Daumas Gassac, Mas Jullien, Grange de Peres and Domaine La Marfee are good value if priced under $30 (La Marfee, Grange de Peres, Daumas Gassac) or under $20 (Mas Julien, Domaine de l'Hortus).  My guess is that California wines present much greater value in LA.

I wouldn't be surprised if California prices on Languedoc wine are as cheap or cheaper than in the UK. Many French wines are chepaer here than in the US.

California wines aren't a value anywhere.

beachfan

I wouldn't be surprised if California prices on Languedoc wine are as cheap or cheaper than in the UK.  Many French wines are chepaer here than in the US.

California wines aren't a value anywhere.

Thats what I was going to say. Seriously, languedoc is turning out some of the best QPR wines in the world. Much better value than California wines, even in California.

It is slowly shedding its reputation as the "wine lake"

I agree these wines represent a sound value for quality/price ratio.

I like very much the wines of Fitou,Limoux as well as Corbieres and Minervois.

I have some tasting notes tucked away somewhere in this messy desk of mine i'll try to find and share.

Also the Roussillon and Provance offer some tasty treats that won't empty your wallet

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Nothing like a blanket statement such as "California does not respect terrior" to get people up in arms.

While I am not a huge fan of CA wines by any means, a recent trip through the Russian River valley found many excellent wines (mostly pinot noir, of course).

While I can't speak for wine prices in general, La Vigneronne in London specializes in Languedoc wines and their current offerings are priced at about 30-40% less than NY where I also keep a home.

I wasn't overly impressed with Minervois reds when we were there; They do a good muscat though..

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently at a tasting of over 40 wines from Languedoc, and my conclusion was that at the lower end of the price spectrum the quality is not all it might be, especially when compared to similarly priced wines from the Rhone. That said, the newly created appellation of Cabardès is showing really exciting potential.

• 1 year later...

In yesterday's New York Times, Eric Asimov said, in part, that

If you were to ask me to name the best wine region in the world, or the most underrated one, I'd have to think a long time. But if you were to ask for the most exciting wine region, I'd have an answer right away: Languedoc.

(Link to the complete article here; you may have to scroll down to the appropriate spot.)

I see some support for his opinion upthread (showing, once again, that eGulleteers are often ahead of the curve). Would anyone like to comment further?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Living in London, the Languedoc represents some of the best value in wine, as exporting costs are low. The same may not be true in LA.\

The best Languedoc wines, such as Domaine de l'Hortus, Daumas Gassac, Mas Jullien, Grange de Peres and Domaine La Marfee are good value if priced under $30 (La Marfee, Grange de Peres, Daumas Gassac) or under $20 (Mas Julien, Domaine de l'Hortus). My guess is that California wines present much greater value in LA.

Mogsob,

when did you last get Grange de Pere for less than $30?

I would think $50 is a very fair, and more likely price.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?