• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dundee, is it as Bad as I'm expecting

It's my home town, since you ask. I head back there fairly regularly, and have so far avoided starving to death.

Bon Appetit (Commercial Street) is a very old-school French place. It's owned by a married couple with a missionary zeal to introduce Dundonians to superior ways of furring their arteries. They deserve our support.

The last meal I had at Howies, on South Tay Street, was extremely good by anyone's standards. Modern European, a bit like Conran would be if he employed anyone able to cook. However, I heard a few weeks ago that it has changed owner, format and name (Number 25?), so approach with a bit of caution.

Similarly The Italian, on Commercial Street. People have said good things, but I've never been myself so can't vouch for their accuracy.

For grazing, the DCA cafe (think it's called Jute or somesuch) provides solid lunchtime chow, a nice venue and a good pint of Deuchars. The Rep Cafe does similar, but for an older crowd.

The Tasting Rooms is an okay wine bar with Italian-ish bits & bobs to eat. Best options outside the centre are up the Perth Road, with the Agacan, a locally celebrated Turkish kebab place, just about worth the walk. Ask a trusted local which Indian is currently the best: they change very regularly, but are usually of a surprisingly authentic standard.

Edited by naebody (log)

Now, you've done something I wasn't expecting anyone to do, and actually recommended places I would like to eat at, so let me confuse the issue by saying that I'll be dining with a strict vegetarian, and he'll be paying the bill, now what do you recommend?

let me confuse the issue by saying that I'll be dining with a strict vegetarian, and he'll be paying the bill, now what do you recommend?

All of the above should cope. But the best pick is probably the Dil Se on Perth Road, a new style, veggie friendly Bangladeshi that has collected a bookcase of awards. Ask for an upstairs table though -- the ground level is a bit of a fishtank.

• 2 weeks later...

Dil Se was excellent, thanks a lot for the tip off. only had time to eat one meal out in dundee so didn't get chance to try anywhere else, but my dining companions and I were all suitably impressed with Dil Se, certainly a cut above the usual Indian. We actually ate at Kalpna in Edinburgh the night before which was amazing, and kept the vegetarian contingent happy! so a good weekend of top notch Indian food.