• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tripe Recipe

Most of the time it is pork stomach, or tripe. Once in a long while, you might find "honeycomb" tripe (beef) on the list of jook additions. There is no recipe that needs to be adhered to in preparation of tripe to add to jook. Just boil the living bejezus out of them. Then slice and add to jook.

Most of the time it is pork stomach, or tripe. Once in a long while, you might find "honeycomb" tripe (beef) on the list of jook additions. There is no recipe that needs to be adhered to in preparation of tripe to add to jook. Just boil the living bejezus out of them. Then slice and add to jook.

I am aware that the tripe used in Jook/Pho are just boiled (as you say "boiled the living bejezus out of them" :biggrin: )

But the one i am referring to are the "honeycomb" ones made in a light/dark soy base

Hushpuppy,thanx for referring the site,will try some of them

In Hong Kong the Restaurants most famous for serving "Tripe Dishes" are "Hakka" and they prepare Tripe that is served in the Morning and late at Night for Congee that is the best I have ever eaten.

I hope someone has recipe that similar who will respond.

In Honolulu they make Tripe cooked with Fresh Pumpkin and Potato served in Congee around Halloween when the Pumpkins are available that is a delicious combination.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I always got confused when people talk about tripe. Commonly there are 2 kinds of tripes (which are both called tripe in English). In Chinese they have 2 distinct names:

1) 牛肚. This is also called the honeycomb tripe. Pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&...%89%9B%E8%82%9A

These are the one usually sold in wonton shops over noodle soup, or rice noodle soup. I think that's the kind you are referring to in the original post.

And:

2) 牛柏葉. This is the tripe that is usually white in color not brown. Pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?q=%E7%89%9...%E8%91%89&hl=en

From my experience, if you just boil the tripes the muscles tend to get very tough. I think the proper way to cook it is: Clean the tripe first. Put it in a pot of boiling water and quick boil for only 2 minutes. Remove and cleanse the tripes under running water to wash away the suds. Then use a pot to prepare your flavoring sauce: nam yu, lo shui, etc.. Boil this pot of sauce. Once it starts boiling, immediately turn down the heat to a simmer. Put in the tripe and simmer (bubbly) for 2+ hours (whole, don't cut the tripe until serving time). Then the muscle should be soft enough to chew on with ease.

Here is one recipe that illustrate how to do the sauce. I cooked beef shank but you may cook tripe or tendon exactly the same way:

Beef Shank Braised with Five Spice and Soy Sauce (五香牛腱)

The key is not to boil the muscles on high stove setting (except the cleansing round). Only simmer right from the start.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Thanks Ah Leung.....Yes you are right i was referring to the honey comb tripe....In noodle houses they refer it to as "Ngau Tau Mein" (beef stomach noodles,literal transalation in english)...will try out the recipe as you have suggested