• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

I learned the hard way that you must shake to disolve the salt.

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

I did not want to drag the breakfast topic off into preserving but I'm very curious about how you made your zucchini pickles. I did a search of this topic but was not successful in finding anything you had entered here.  So I am hoping you will check in and perhaps share your pickle recipe.  

Anna,

It is something I have been doing for many years and is a very simple refrigerator pickle. The basic recipe is this:

to a quart jar add 1 TBS kosher salt, 3 large peeled cloves of garlic , 2 bay leaves and a TBS of dill weed. Pack whatever you are going to pickle into the jar and fill to the shoulder (where it starts to curve to the lid) with white vinegar, top off with water, secure the lid, shake to dissolve the salt and refrigerate for 3 days. When I do zucchini and onions, I will sometimes add a dash of crushed red pepper and a splash of Kens Italian dressing to give it a slight marinated flavor. I do the same with cauliflower, sliced frying peppers, par boiled pearl onions, par boiled asparagus, sliced, roasted beets and sliced raw turnip. For cucumber pickles (I grow the picklers) I omit the dressing. Green tomatoes, take about 6 weeks, but just about everything else is ready within a few days and never lasts very long in my fridge. When the pickles are gone, I will taste the brine and add salt, vinegar, dill and or garlic, based on what it seems to need, and more veggies go in. Piece of cake!

HC 

HungryChris

HungryChris

I learned the hard way that you must shake to disolve the salt.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

I did not want to drag the breakfast topic off into preserving but I'm very curious about how you made your zucchini pickles. I did a search of this topic but was not successful in finding anything you had entered here.  So I am hoping you will check in and perhaps share your pickle recipe.  

Anna,

It is something I have been doing for many years and is a very simple refrigerator pickle. The basic recipe is this:

to a quart jar add 1 TBS kosher salt, 3 large peeled cloves of garlic ,2 bay leaves and a TBS of dill weed. Pack whatever you are going to pickle into the jar and fill to the shoulder (where it starts to curve to the lid) with white vinegar, top off with water, secure the lid, shake to dissolve the salt and refrigerate for 3 days. When I do zucchini and onions, I will sometimes add a dash of crushed red pepper and a splash of Kens Italian dressing to give it a slight marinated flavor. I do the same with cauliflower, sliced frying peppers, par boiled pearl onions, par boiled asparagus, sliced, roasted beets and sliced raw turnip. For cucumber pickles (I grow the picklers) I omit the dressing. Green tomatoes, take about 6 weeks, but just about everything else is ready within a few days and never lasts very long in my fridge. When the pickles are gone, I will taste the brine and add salt, vinegar, dill and or garlic, based on what it seems to need, and more veggies go in. Piece of cake!

HC 

HungryChris

HungryChris

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

Anna,

to a quart jar add 1 TBS kosher salt, 3 large peeled cloves of garlic and a TBS of dill weed. Pack whatever you are going to pickle into the jar and fill to the shoulder (where it starts to curve to the lid) with white vinegar, top off with water, secure the lid and refrigerate for 3 days. When I do zucchini and onions, I will sometimes add a dash of crushed red pepper and a splash of Kens Italian dressing to give it a slight marinated flavor. I do the same with cauliflower, sliced frying peppers, par boiled pearl onions, sliced, roasted beets and sliced raw turnip. For cucumber pickles (I grow the picklers) I omit the dressing. Green tomatoes, take about 6 weeks, but just about everything else is ready within a few days and never lasts very long in my fridge. When the pickles are gone, I will taste the brine and add salt, vinegar, dill and or garlic, based on what it seems to need, and more veggies go in. Piece of cake!

HC