• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne glasses -- Riedel vs Everything else?

Richard Kilgore

Here is an Amazon link to a search for Riedel Champagne glasses. It appears that the perfect design for champagne has many variants. I probably would not normally do it, but I happened to pick up a set of six of the non-traditional Riedel Vinum Champagne glasses when I found them on sale for $40. In contrast the Riedel Vinum Champagne, Prestige Cuvee glasses are a more traditional design, with an etched "fizz mark" in the center of the bowl that direct the flow of bubbles upward in a single stream. Or so it says. And there are other Riedel champagne glasss that cost even more.

For those who have used any of these designs, what do you like or dislike about them? Are any "better" than the others? Are any of them "better" than other crystal champagne glasses that cost, perhaps, 1/5 to 1/2 the price of the Riedel designs?

I'm a huge fan of the Riedel Sommelier Vintage Champagne. But, they are spendy. And, glassware breaks.

The Vinum are fine, with a reasonable cut edge but small-ish bowl.

A recent gift was the Schott-Zwiesel flutes. Much more affordable, light and still with a nice shape. The stem is a bit long relative to the size of the bowl, but for the price, etc. they are our new house flute.

I'm a huge fan of the Riedel Sommelier Vintage Champagne. But, they are spendy. And, glassware breaks.

The Vinum are fine, with a reasonable cut edge but small-ish bowl.

A recent gift was the Schott-Zwiesel flutes. Much more affordable, light and still with a nice shape. The stem is a bit long relative to the size of the bowl, but for the price, etc. they are our new house flute.

Here is an Amazon link to a  search for Riedel Champagne glasses. It appears that the perfect design for champagne has many variants. I probably would not normally do it, but I happened to pick up a set of six of the non-traditional Riedel Vinum Champagne glasses when I found them on sale for $40. In contrast the Riedel Vinum Champagne, Prestige Cuvee glasses are a more traditional design, with an etched "fizz mark" in the center of the bowl that direct the flow of bubbles upward in a single stream. Or so it says. And there are other Riedel champagne glasss that cost even more.

For those who have used any of these designs, what do you like or dislike about them? Are any "better" than the others? Are any of them "better" than other crystal champagne glasses that cost, perhaps, 1/5 to 1/2 the price of the Riedel designs?

"It appears that the perfect design....has many variants."

You have touched upon the great "flaw" in the whole

Riedel schtick!

I have several "variants" of Riedel glassware--they are fine glasses.

However the silliness over specific shapes for specific wines is taken to extremes by these folks

in order to sell more glasses. :wink:

My favorite champagne glasses are some flutes from Tiffany (the Riedels are fine as well).

I also have some Waterford glasses and a few other brands--they all seem to do a good job of

preserving bubbles and getting the champagne from the bottle to my mouth.

I am waiting for Riedel to announce development of the "perfect" glass for Rose Champagne! :wacko:

Also--I am certain I am not getting the most from prosecco and other sparklers--hurry up Riedel!

(by the way--I am looking for some warehouse space to store my Riedel glassware--just the other nite I mistakenly served some Rioja in Bordeaux glasses--ruining an otherwise perfect evening). :shock:

Cheers!

Edited by JohnL (log)

I love my Sommeliere Vintage Champagne glasses, although I think that some wines are better served glasses that have larger tulips, similar to some red wine glasses. IMO, one example is a Vintage Krug.

Ive tasted wines with the CEO of one of the most prestigious houses of Champagne who refuses to drink from a traditional flute.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

I purchase the factory branded Champagne glasses whenever they have an overstock. We have so so many broken that its the only cost effective way.

ANY reasonable flute type glass is suitable for Champagne and it doesn't taste any better in any one type of glass despite what the 'experts' would like you to believe. -Dick