• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

modern american cuisine

Is this a trend or a renaissance for American chef's? Or something else.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Leaving fast-food, junk-food and mass-market aside as it deserve to be set aside in a serious question like this...

Modern American cuisine is a true fusion between classic and modern French, Italian and at times Far-Eastern methods and dishes; traditional regional American offerings; the use, depending on the chef, of both local and not-at-all local ingredients; and the talent of chefs with both imagination and talent. What this means among other things is that there is little uniformity to what is happening in American kitchens and that may be one of the greatest culinary strengths of current movements, for we are more and more seeing restaurants where the specific signature of the chef is more and more readily apparent.

The question that automatically follows deals with whether this has led or will lead to a specifically "American cuisine". My speculation is that it will not but with this I have neither problems nor complaints for I cannot help but agree with what Patricia Wells wrote more than a decade ago... that to the effect that although the finest dining in the world is still to be found in Europe, the most exciting dining is taking place in America.

Daniel:

Well said. The problem I see in American kitchens is the failure of standards and except for the few places the quality and respect for the product is lacking. However, I enjoyed your comments.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Daniel:

Well said.  The problem I see in American kitchens is the failure of standards and except for the few places the quality and respect for the product is lacking.  However, I enjoyed your comments.

Jmahl

But this problem isn't limited to American cuisine but rather kitchens in America. Granted, the label, in most instances, is useless, but in today's world what modern cuisine is concretely defined? If you compare modern interpretations of French, American, and Japanese cuisine (respectively from three very different parts of the wrold), they're shocking familiar.

In essence, boundaries between cuisines are breaking down all over the world, not just in America.