• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

small commercial bakery, quick question about

maui420

is there a minimum sized hood one can have for a bakery? for example, do all of the ovens need to be directly underneath a hood? ive been reading forums and i hear it can costly roughly 1k per foot. since i dont know anythin about ventalition, i was wondering what is the min sized vent to have for a small operation.

i have been to 4 business places already hoping to rent a kitchen but unfortunatly no-can-do. i cant blame'em, heck, if some stranger walked into my business and asked, i would also be very hesistent. after telling my wife the bad news, she goes, well if you cant get the oppurtunity, we will have to make our oppurtunity ourselves.=) so now im basically running numbers and talking to zoning what can and what i cant do.

It's totally dependent on your particular area's regulations. Because the rules contradict from place to place.

:rolleyes:

Best of the best to you!!! Where are you & what do you wanna bake by the way???

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Best talk to a company that sells baking equipment. They will be more than happy to fill you in on the particular requirements for all the different ovens.

Basically, anything that runs on gas needs to be vented. Electric convection ovens as a rule do not need venting but don't forget that they will kick out some pretty good heat in the summertime so venting is a good idea if you don't have great a/c (especially if you are working with pastry).

I agree with K8memphis and have found the best thing is to talk to your local agencies, Health, fire, zoning, if you start out up front with your plans I have found my local inspectors really helpfull. Hoods are a fire code requirement and the codes var,y I live in Rhode Island and we have had alot of changes since the Station fire so check with your local marshal as only he knows what he will approve.

I agree with K8memphis and have found the best thing is to talk to your local agencies, Health, fire, zoning, if you start out up front with your plans I have found my local inspectors really helpfull. Hoods are a fire code requirement and the codes var,y I live in Rhode Island and we have had alot of changes since the Station fire so check with your local marshal as only he knows what he will approve.

where r u located?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Here's some of the irony of these regulations. My friend had her own place, did lunch & stuff too. She only baked at a certain time of the day to be sure to always avoid the inspector showing up & nailing her about her lack of a suppression system, the hood & fire equipment & all. I guess he was predictable that way. She could cook top of stove no problem-o. She was off one day and sure enough somebody baked something at the wrong time. She got snafooed to the tune of installing an eight thousand dollar system.

Me on the other hand, my fire marshall said I could bake all day every day withhout a hood and suppression system in my commercially zoned tearoom. However I could not even boil eggs or water or anything on top of the stove --could do nothing on stove top without the system. Zip nada.

Go figure. It's different everywhere.

Oh wait, how about some more irony :laugh: Might as well laugh..

Umm, the state of Tennessee is in process of making home bakers legal--you will have to attend sanitation class at the university. However you cannot do anything highly perishable like cheesecake :rolleyes: . You can have no pets in the structure.

In Ohio you can be a home baker if you have a home & can bake. Your pets need to be in the other room while you're cooking.If you want to do highly perishables you attend the sanitation class & get certified for that.

Oh yeah, the regulations TN is putting together may not be enough because of the uber tight zoning laws here in my county. sigh

But anyway--my best advice is do not ask a salesman. Ask your local code, fire & health people if you want the bottom line.

This is a big big big big big deal to me.

If I lived in Kentucky I'd be golden.

sigh again

Edited by K8memphis (log)

K8memphis---"Umm, the state of Tennessee is in process of making home bakers legal--you will have to attend sanitation class at the university. However you cannot do anything highly perishable like cheesecake . You can have no pets in the structure. " ....where did you hear this? Any links?

K8memphis---"Umm, the state of Tennessee is in process of making home bakers legal--you will have to attend sanitation class at the university. However you cannot do anything highly perishable like cheesecake  . You can have no pets in the structure. "  ....where did you hear this? Any links?

I have a file for you I got from the Department of Agriculture--pm me your email address if you want a copy.

I'd love to ram this through Shelby County here & go toe to toe with the zoning board but I have a cat. I'm probably gonna fly under the radar--try to stay cloaked under the idea of the new regulations. We'll see.

• 4 months later...