• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stew Chicken

Hi everybody,

Had stew chicken when I was in Belize a year ago. Incredible. Never had anything like it before. Does anybody know how to make it? Recipes?

Can you describe it more fully? My boyfriend had a business in Belize and lived there on and off for a year. He said they use plantains, palm oil, dende oil, and coconut milk... Manioc is used to thicken and unavailable in the U.S. I am going in June and could look into it for you can tell me where you had it (although I am going specifically for lobster season which starts on the 15th).

"It could be anything," in Kevin's words, "and the food generally sucks," in his opinion.

I'm curious now and am looking forward to bringing back some dende oil as I've have heard much about it and know nothing about manioc.

edited for clarity

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Hi Carolyn,

The stew chicken we had was near the Cockscomb basin outside the wildlife preserve at a lodge ran by Mayan Indians (i think?). It was pretty much chicken slow cooks in a yellow stew type base served over rice. I believe the stew base was mostly water, carrots, celery, onions and spices.

I know it's quite involved and needs a couple hours of cooking. But wanted to know if anybody has tried this or if anybody have good recipes for this dish.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I did learn something very interesting about Belizean food -- the chicken is often coated with recodo a red paste made from a local seed. I purchased a small tube of it and it had the smell and consistency of fresh masa, although it was very, very dark red. About a tablespoon of the paste is mixed with water and used as a paste on the chicken. I used some in a fish stew we made while sailing and found it quite rich and unusual.

Red recado is achiote paste, which is made from the powder of crushed annatto seeds with something slightly liquid, like a touch of tomato paste. To the paste is added a little fresh garlic, pepper, chiles, juice of sour oranges, and salt. Very similar, by the way, to what in neighboring Mexico is referred to as adobo.

I've never seen a more complicated recipe for Belize stew chicken (Belize's "national dish") than simply stewing the chicken parts in a ball of red rocado, some chicken bouillon, and onions. Generally served over rice and beans.

Edited by saltshaker (log)

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

• 2 weeks later...