• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwich Dinner

Chufi

Other options for coleslaw (that do not have a sweet or fruity accent) :

spicy asian coleslaw with peanuts

red cabbage slaw with anchovy vinagrette

classic southern coleslaw with a 'boiled' dressing and celery seeds

I've had all three of these with pork and they provide a happy combination.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Something tomato-y would be good, but decent tomatoes are very expensive at the moment.

Do you have easy access to grape tomatoes? Are they pricey over there? I find that they are generally the most tomato-y flavoured tomatoes tomatoes are scarce. And the prices over here don't vary too much :biggrin:

Tossed together with some basil, thinly sliced red onion, vinegar (balsamic/red wine/whatever you like :wink: ) olive oil, salt and pepper or whatever you like. Makes a nice, simple salad that can be put together and kept in the fridge until you need it (keeping the fresh herbs out until you serve).

I of course, am always in favour of soup. Hot or cold.

Your menu sounds great!