• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia restaurant cooking for Passover?

UnConundrum

I was wondering if there's any restaurants serving food for Passover in the Philadelphia area.... West suburbs are better, but I'll travel. I seem to remember a restaurant in the Jenkintown area, but it's a heck of a hike for me to find that they're gone..... Looking for something more than just fried Matzoh....

Thanks in advance.

lots and lots of kosher restaurant links .. with phone numbers !! however, that said, I rather imagine that many of the owners closed for a week-long vacation with their families rather than going through the kashering of their kitchens to serve customers ... I would have done so :wink: .. and there are only 3 days when they would be open for business .. all the rest are full yom tovim ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I was wondering if there's any restaurants serving food for Passover in the Philadelphia area....  West suburbs are better, but I'll travel.    I seem to remember a restaurant in the Jenkintown area, but it's a heck of a hike for me to find that they're gone.....  Looking for something more than just fried Matzoh....

Thanks in advance.

How strict are you in your observances? Do you expect a regular non-kosher restaurant to have cleaned and changed over all the pans and dishes, or are you just looking for a place that might be serving some Passover inspired foods? There's a huge gulf between those two things, so you need to be more specific. Many of the Philly restaurants I've worked in had matzoh available instead of bread for Passover week, but that was the only concession to the holiday.

Chef Michael McNally at the London Grill has made fantastic Salmon Gefilte fish for Passover in the past, and they normally serve some a la carte Passover dishes for Passover week. You'd have to call and ask what's on the menu this year, but I'm certain it'll be up to their usual standard.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks Katie... You raise a good point... and I don't know the answer :shock:

We don't keep Kosher... but during Passover, we don't eat anything with flour or flour products, beans, corn, rice, etc. We don't change pots or plates... So... I guess a truly Kosher restaurant would be fine, but one that "makes an effort" but isn't Kosher would work as well.

Thanks Katie...  You raise a good point... and I don't know the answer :shock:

We don't keep Kosher...  but during Passover, we don't eat anything with flour or flour products, beans, corn, rice, etc.  We don't change pots or plates...  So... I guess a truly Kosher restaurant would be fine, but one that "makes an effort" but isn't Kosher would work as well.

OK - so you're not changing the dishes and pans at home, so you wouldn't expect the restaurant to be doing that either. That makes it easier. So a "regular" restaurant that has Passover dishes on the menu would be fine.

I think London Grill knows enough about keeping the flour and non-Pesadich items off of your plate that might have formerly had those items on it before it went through the dishwasher. If that works for you, perhaps you could call and check to see what's on the menu this year and see if it interests you. Don't know how long a drive it is from where you are, but it's close to some of the sights in Philly so a trip to the Art Museum, Rodin Museum, Franklin Institute or Eastern State Penitentiary could be combined with a nice dinner.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol