• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three more

Florida Jim

2004 Ocone, Falanghina Taburno:

Correct, elements of sweet gum on the nose and palate, good complexity but falls short of being complete. Pleasant and interesting but little else. Diane says odd – I agree.

1998 Mommessin, Clos de Tart:

Young, disjointed, oaky but, curiously, not unappealing; its Burgundy, it’s pretty much identifiable as Morey and then . . . well, then everything sort of goes ca-flooey. Either this needs time in the cellar or it needs to be sold off to others – I can’t tell which.

1999 Lafrage, Volnay Vendage Sélectionées:

This on the other hand, is integrated, focused, all about cherry pit fruit and so damn expressive it’s hard to explain in words – utterly Volnay and really showing well although in no danger of heading south. A lovely and fascinating wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

2004 Ocone, Falanghina Taburno:

Correct, elements of sweet gum on the nose and palate, good complexity but falls short of being complete. Pleasant and interesting but little else. Diane says odd – I agree.

1998 Mommessin, Clos de Tart:

Young, disjointed, oaky but, curiously, not unappealing; its Burgundy, it’s pretty much identifiable as Morey and then . . . well, then everything sort of goes ca-flooey. Either this needs time in the cellar or it needs to be sold off to others – I can’t tell which.

1999 Lafrage, Volnay Vendage Sélectionées:

This on the other hand, is integrated, focused, all about cherry pit fruit and so damn expressive it’s hard to explain in words – utterly Volnay and really showing well although in no danger of heading south. A lovely and fascinating wine.

Best, Jim

I get that cherry pit note in good pinot too, also peach pit in some whites. For me it is a kind of fruity-minerality that is hard to describe to others. Is this also what you mean by pits?