• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Breast Roast

Khadija

My partner and I are not big fans of chicken breast meat. We especially don't like boneless skinless chicken breasts, for the usual reasons (we find that they tend to be dry, bland, etc.)

However, for various reasons, we regularly eat chicken, and we only buy whole chickens. Usually, we cut the chicken up, reserving the thighs and legs for all our favourite chicken dishes, and freezing the backs and wings for stock-making. Then we have to figure out what to do with the breasts. We used to always use the breast meat for stir fries. Sometimes, I will pound them out and roll them up with things in them, but to be honest, I get tired of that kind of thing.

Recently, however, I think I've found the perfect way to use chicken breasts: I make a "chicken breast roast." When I cut up the chicken, I bone the breasts, but leave them unsplit with the skin on. I marinate them briefly in a mixture of lemon juice, honey, garlic, lots of salt, herbs, and olive oil. Then, I use butcher's twine to tie the breasts together very tightly, so they are entirely encased in skin. I "roast" the meat in the oven over very low heat, about 250 degrees (does the low heat mean it's not roasting). I take the chicken out of the oven before it reaches 150 degrees and let it come up after I take it out of the oven.* The result is a kind of cylinder of chicken breast, encased in skin, that is easly sliced (the two breasts get moulded together). Most importantly, the meat is surprisingly moist. I think this is the best method of cooking chicken breast meat I've ever come up with. Chicken breast is still not my favourite, but I now use the "roast" throughout the week, in sandwiches for easy workday lunches, etc.

Does anyone else use this method? I've searched and don't see any recipes using this particular method of wrapping unsplit boned breasts in their own skin. Or does anyone know of a better way to prepare breasts for those who don't particularly care for them?

*The reason I cook it at such a low temperature is that it seems to me that at higher temperatures the meat on the outside of the "roast" cooks faster and gets somewhat dry before the inside gets cooked. Similarly, the reason I prefer my method to cooking the breasts on the bone is that when I do this the meat near the bone doesn't cook as fast as the meat near the surface area.

I remeber as a kid when apparantly boneless chicken breast came with the skin on....my grandmother used to put stuffing under the skin and pack them tight in a pan to roast....sooooo good maybe you can stuff your little roasts.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My partner and I are not big fans of chicken breast meat.  We especially don't like boneless skinless chicken breasts, for the usual reasons (we find that they tend to be dry, bland, etc.) 

However, for various reasons, we regularly eat chicken, and we only buy whole chickens.  Usually, we cut the chicken up, reserving the thighs and legs for all our favourite chicken dishes, and freezing the backs and wings for stock-making.  Then we have to figure out what to do with the breasts.  We used to always use the breast meat for stir fries.  Sometimes, I will pound them out and roll them up with things in them, but to be honest, I get tired of that kind of thing. 

Recently, however, I think I've found the perfect way to use chicken breasts: I make a "chicken breast roast."  When I cut up the chicken, I bone the breasts, but leave them unsplit with the skin on.  I marinate them briefly in a mixture of lemon juice, honey, garlic, lots of salt, herbs, and olive oil.  Then, I use butcher's twine to tie the breasts together very tightly, so they are entirely encased in skin.  I "roast" the meat in the oven over very low heat, about 250 degrees (does the low heat mean it's not roasting).  I take the chicken out of the oven before it reaches 150 degrees and let it come up after I take it out of the oven.*  The result is a kind of cylinder of chicken breast, encased in skin, that is easly sliced (the two breasts get moulded together).  Most importantly, the meat is surprisingly moist. I think this is the best method of cooking chicken breast meat I've ever come up with.  Chicken breast is still not my favourite, but I now use the "roast" throughout the week, in sandwiches for easy workday lunches, etc.

Does anyone else use this method?  I've searched and don't see any recipes using this particular method of wrapping unsplit boned breasts in their own skin.  Or does anyone know of a better way to prepare breasts for those who don't particularly care for them?

*The reason I cook it at such a low temperature is that it seems to me that at higher temperatures the meat on the outside of the "roast" cooks faster and gets somewhat dry before the inside gets cooked.  Similarly, the reason I prefer my method to cooking the breasts on the bone is that when I do this the meat near the bone doesn't cook as fast as the meat near the surface area.

have you ever tried roasting a whole bone-in, skin-on chicken breast? set it on a bed of sliced potatoes, carrots, onions, unpeeled garlic, herbs -- s&p and olive oil, maybe some lemon juice. then roast at 400 for about 30 min (depends on size). good stuff.

I will try it.

I usually remove the breast-bone, and broil the double breast bone in skin on butterflied, 7 min a side with appropriate seasoning under the skin and everywhere else.

Basically, an adaptation of A Browns butterflied broiled chicken.

M

I too am generally less than enamoured of the breast meat, being more of a leg man (someone had to say it first on this thread :wacko: ), although buying really good chicken goes a long way towards fixing that. We mostly tend to use the breast meat in soups and stews, made with the rest of the chicken carcass, or in chicken salad sandwiches. Do you roast the rest of the chicken at such a low temperature or just the breasts? It sounds like an interesting technique.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Sheila, I have roasted the breasts unsplit with the bone in at high temperature for a short period of time, but I find that the meat cooks less evenly (and thus winds up drier) than when I do it with the bone out at a low temperature for a longer period of time.

Mallet, I don't necessarily cook other parts of the chicken at such a low temperature. I do cook legs and thighs at low temperature when I braise them, but that's a different story. Basically, I started cooking the breasts at a low temperature because at higher temperatures, I find it difficult to get the middle cooked through without drying the outer parts.

I came up with this technique as basically part of series of experiments trying to figure out how to make breast meat as "non-dry" as possible. To be honest, I'm probably more interested the problem-solving process than I am in eating chicken breast.

I have a son who loves crisp skin, and white meat chicken. To accomoddate him, I slather the bone in unsplit reast in Crisco, and Adobo seasoning. then, 30-40 min at 400 degrees, basting the last 5-10 minutes.

I'm a duck and pheasant fan...chicken to me is a conduit for great stock, and my favorite chicken dish is tarragon/mayo chicken salad...I'm simply not a hot chicken fan. ok, I have tried that Marcella 40 clove sthing, loved it. Mostly like it mayonaissed, or drowning in buffalo sauce!

ANYWAY, if you are doing breasts, this is about te best way. And, the crisco drippings are a superior base for your favorite gravy or sauce.

With that said, the above chix preperation produces the est

We used to serve a similar dish as a entree that was popular.

We called it "Crisp Skin Stuffed Chicken Breast."

The way we were able to keep the chicken moist while crisping the skin is applicable toward the tied roasted recipe.

We wok sauted the Breasts at a high heat just long enough to sear and lightly brown the skin while constantly basting the Breast.

The Breasts were placed in a 250 degree oven long enough to set, we checked them by pressing the meat similar to a steak until they were cooked medium then plated and served.

The waiter would carved them table side before serving. But it was just for show since ours were stuffed it looked nice after the pan juices were spooned over the slices.

The wok basting is effective in allowing the skin to crisp without over cooking the chicken breast it also works well for duck.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I have the opposite problem to yours. I buy whole organic chickens and know exactly what to do with the breasts and bones, but the leg and thighs always pose a dilemma for me as I'm not a fan of brown meat. I usually end up braising them for a lunch for my sweetie.

Actually, Khadija, I think I may have solved both our problems; I'll buy the chickens, take off the breasts and deliver the legs and thighs to your door! :laugh:

Have you ever boned the entire chicken? I have stuffed and rolled it, and roasted it atop potatoes. Yum.

I have the opposite problem to yours.  I buy whole organic chickens and know exactly what to do with the breasts and bones, but the leg and thighs always pose a dilemma for me as I'm not a fan of brown meat.  I usually end up braising them for a lunch for my sweetie.

Actually, Khadija, I think I may have solved both our problems; I'll buy the chickens, take off the breasts and deliver the legs and thighs to your door!  :laugh:

Have you ever boned the entire chicken?  I have stuffed and rolled it, and roasted it atop potatoes.  Yum.

Shaya, we can trade chicken parts anytime :biggrin: ! I have boned the entire chicken before, although I really like using the different parts of the chicken for different applications. Where do you buy your organic chickens? I know Great Ocean (or Planet Organic now, I guess) has them frozen. Do you have a source for fresh?

Shaya, we can trade chicken parts anytime :biggrin: ! I have boned the entire chicken before, although I really like using the different parts of the chicken for different applications.  Where do you buy your organic chickens?  I know Great Ocean (or Planet Organic now, I guess) has them frozen.  Do you have a source for fresh?

I actually get the grain-fed birds that Pete's and Superstore carry because I never see fresh "organic" chicken around. As a rule, I don't care for chicken that's been frozen. My neighbours buy theirs fresh from a farmer - he probably sells at the farmer's market. I will ask for the name next time I see them and let you know.