• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powders

fryguy

When I went to Alinea recently, there were several courses that were garnished with "powders" that reconstituted in the mouth to what you would expect them to taste like.

How did they do that? I asked the waiter and he said something about tapioca maltodextrin. I've tried using it, but the things I've tried to powder have ended up being very gummy, with their flavors dulled.

Not sure how Alinea does it, if it's any help, the French Laundry cookbook mentions they make powders by setting pulp or puree of different fruits/vegetables above ovens until it's dry. For the home, he suggests using the microwave in low/medium power and checking constantly and then using a coffee or spice grinder.

I imagine a dehidrator would probably do the job, and then you would just use the grinder.

Arley Sasson

i'm suprised that the waiter told you what they were using. i spent months trying to figure out what fat swelling starch wuold work for it!!! these starches work for things like olive oil for example, they can hold up to 20% of their weight in fat which is why they work well. i then dry it further and run it through my pacojet..

Fruit powders are much easier though. i make a pineapple powder which is served with a nori wrapped curried scallop mousseline (say that 10times fast!) all that is is pured fresh pineapple laid out on a silt pat and dried in the oven for a few hours at a low heat (careful not to color) then run through a blender and strained...