• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick bite near Tate Modern Museum

I just remembered The Loft,the restaurant in the Mecure Hotel on Southwark St just behind the Tate Modern. I had a very pleasant modern Frenchish meal there last year. They do a special wine choice with selected bottles marked up by only a fiver. Was there for dinner. Don't know about lunch.

Must agree with Simon about Meson Don Felipe. Lively atmosphere but mediocre food.

there's a place called just the bridge which actually looks onto the wobbly bridge from the opposite side to the tate modern. don't know what the food's like - menu reads a bit modern britishish - but it's from the same guy as just st james. gladwin, i think his name is. the view looks sensational and there are tables outside.

there's also laughing gravy for an informal, fun little place and the honest something or other (cabbage? goose?) on the cut which is pleasant and reasonably priced.

I went to meson don felipe some time ago but colleagues went on tuesday and said they really liked it, maybe just differing opinions

simon- what is the address of other tapas bar-Ma I terra , does it have a nice atmosphere....?

I have never eaten laughing gravy,despite it only being about 2 mins from my office but i am always put off by the fact that the kitchen below street level has open windows level with pavement on a very busy crossroads...no guards on windows that i have seen....!!

sarah x

Mar i terra is in Gambia st - I've not eaten at that one

But there is a (single) other branch in Air? St near Piccadilly.

They had an interesting Spanish wine list and decent food.

I had some parts of a pig and some wine & then a large Carlos I. Who could want anymore?

Wilma squawks no more

I agree with Simon on both Tas (starters great, main courses good but just huge and therefore rather monotonous; the old get-your-variety-through-different-dishes thing -- luckily it's perfectly possible to eat well on entirely starters/mezze) and Don Felipe. The latter's food (fine, hardly exciting) has never bothered me as much as the service, which veers randomly (during the same visit) between fine, friendly, inept and appalling.

I once went to DF with a friend and arrived to find it heaving. We asked the waitress to put our names down for a table. She said there was no list and we should just take one when it became available. We therefore hovered by one, and relieved its nice occupants of it went they were finished. At which point the manager came bounding up and said there were other people on the list who he had to give the table to. When we explained we had been told there was no list, he said that was strange but made no effort to deal with the way we had been made to waste our time. We should have left at that point but were too tired. Eventually we got a table.