• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After the hockey game...

adanzig

A pal and I will be making the drive from Portland to your fair city this weekend to see my beloved Red Wings skate to victory (and if that isn't an invitation to receive precisely *zero* recommendations in response to this post, I don't know what is!) :wacko: Since we'd much prefer to eat late than before the game, I'm seeking some suggestions.

Options don't necessarily have to be within walking distance from the hockey arena...much more concerned with great food and fabulous cocktails at a warm, semi-intimate location that won't be shutting down too early on a Sunday night. We don't really have a cuisine preference....traditional Pacific NW or ethnic alike would be welcome suggestions and price isn't really a concern.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

... to see my beloved Red Wings skate to victory

Don't worry, they probably will.

Chambar. Or Lumiere tasting bar. Either is a great bet if cocktails are important to you. Chambar is closer. But Lumiere tasting bar could better be described as being intimate, or semi-intimate.

edited to add:

Lucy Mae Browns is a good bet too. It probably stays open the longest of the three.

Edited by mtigges (log)

If you're looking for something unique to Vancouver, perhaps try Wild Rice - it's close to GM place too.

Chambar is also a very nice place with excellent Belgian food - go for the moules frites.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I'd recommend Chambar as well as George in Yaletown for their London inspired cocktails. Brix wine bar is an option if wine is your thing.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I also second the Chambar recommendation but would like to toss in Nu. With Jay Jones at the helm of the bar, the drinks are simply outstanding and the food is fun and small enough to allow for lots of different options. I guess the other team must be worth seeing - the Canucks certainly haven't been inspiring as of late. (This is from someone who knows nada about sports so is probably a totally inappropriate and gratuitous comment)

Cheers,

Karole

Thanks, everyone, for such speedy suggestions! I'm thinking Bin 941 for small plates before dinner followed by a cocktail or three at Chambar after the game. Sadly, my traveling companion reminded me that we have an early a.m. departure the next morning so toasting apres game to the Wings victory will have to be kept short and sweet. Many thanks!

Well, we didn't quite make it out for cocktails or snacks apres hockey game (due to the unfortunately high consumption of both genres *at* the game), however we did have two remarkable meals during our stay. The first was brunch at Glowbal on Saturday. I had a dungeness crab, mascarpone and asparagus omelette that, with the addition of a little bit of salt, was divine and the (apparent) bottomless mimosas were outstanding. Sadly, due to the aforementioned, I can't recall what my traveling companion enjoyed. The service was fabulous and, frankly, rather unexpectedly friendly and charming given the rather slick interior. We then went on to have a great dinner at Cru on Saturday night. Again, service was very gracious and the food was excellent. All in all, a wonderful weekend...capped off by no wait at the border! Can't wait to return.