• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eclectic Rehersal Dinner

annecros

Any suggestions for the cookies would be most welcome. I make a great liebkuchen, that only gets better the next day or two, but other ideas would be fun to spring on the Germans. They get the liebkuchen every year at Christmas.

ETA: My husband and Mother in Law are from Hesse. No Austrian cookies, unless I can convincingly pass them off as being invented in Hessen. Although, if they are good, they will convince themselves of that.

Ok, I limited my search and ideas to German cookies! :smile:

I found a cookie/confection in one of my cookbooks that is a specialty of Frankfurt and therefore, Hesse: "Frankfurter Bethmannchen" or "Marzipan Bethmanss". The dough is primarily marzipan; it's shaped into little pyramids and 3 half almonds are pressed into the sides before baking. Here's a recipe that I found online: click

To round out an assorted cookie platter I might go for one cookie with jelly or jam like a "Spitzbuben" (Little Rascals) or a "Hazelunt Thumprint" (Hussaren). Jam ideas are apricot, red or black currant, rose hip, or raspberry.

If you think that chocolate glazed cookies could be kept cool enough during transport, etc. I might have a Florentiner (almond sliver cookie with candied lemon or orange and glazed w/chocolate on the bottom). These are popular in all German-speaking countries.

Another option is a Stambul Meringuen (Istanbul Meringues). (walnut meringue glazed on the bottom w/chocolate). The latter might quickly become chewy rather than remaining crispy in the summer humdity but maybe they would also taste good in this incarnation...

Vanilla Kipfel (Vanilla Crescents) are Austrian, but are also so popular in Germany and Switzerland that they are usually included in cookbooks from Germany and Switzerland as well. These are tender cookies loaded with ground walnuts or almonds and coated in vanilla sugar. They benefit from being made at least a week or two in advance. I have a very good recipe and can pm it to you if you like.

Other German cookie ideas are some type of anise cookie (pressed if you had a mold(s)) or Zimsterne (Cinnamon Hazelnut Stars) with a lemon icing.

While these are all Christmas cookies to some extent, I personally might not make Lebkuchen or Pfeffernusse for this event b/c I associate them and the flavorings so much with winter and Christmas. (Just my own preferance.)

For a variety of tastes, shapes and looks my choices might be:

Frankfurter Bethmannchen

Hussaren (some with Apricot; some with Red Currant)

Florentiner or Stambul Meringuen

Vanilla Kipfel

Per Swisskaese's post: Frankfurterkranz Torte has been another cake on my "to do" list!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Wanted to thank everyone again for the great ideas!

The grill with the Ponzu sauce was fantastic. There are just not enough words to describe how wonderful, easy and versatile this recipe is! I especially liked the sweet/spicy flavor complexity, which reminds me very much of the carribbean food served in the area. I juiced fresh valencia and key limes (which I intend to buy up, juice and freeze before the season is over) and prepared it with a couple of swordfish steaks, a large mahi filet, and a couple of chicken breasts I had in the freezer just to give it a spin. It really, really, really hit the spot on the swordfish. We have been sort of boycotting billfish for the last few years, but hubby officially lifted the moritorium for this dish. It was nearly as good on the mahi and the chicken. I also had to substitute daikon for the jicama in the slaw. I know jicama is available, and will prepare it again with the jicama, but I couldn't put my hands on it the other day. I think I prepared it too far ahead, because it was looser than I thought it would be. Husband described it as "salsa" like in texture. But it was very refreshing, and I think it is the perfect foil for the grilled fish. Thanks for this suggestion torakris, and everyone else out there ought to give this recipe a try. It certainly boosted my confidence level, and it was a great meal.

I purchased some "ready to eat" edimame, and they were incredibly tasty, and I think this is a keeper as well. I wanted to get an idea of the finished product before I made it from scratch. I have some fresh in the fridge, and will be trying it out tonight, but there is no doubt in my mind that this would make an interesting nibbler.

ludja, those recipes sound great. PLEASE pm me that crescent cookie recipe. My husband's Oma used to make them for him (he was her "golden" child) when he was little, and I have tried two or three recipes that just sort of left him flat. Will be horsing around with the cookies over the next week or so.

So far, I'm looking at a tentative menu of:

Nibblers to be kept out and replenished as needed:

Edamame

Cookie Plate

Maybe some boiled peanuts, alongside the edamame

Appetizers:

Conch Fritters (must do it, it is the Conch Republic, and I am thinking of doing a mustard sauce alongside in addition to the traditional cocktail sauce you see all over the place)

"Relish" Tray (with pimiento cheese stuffed celery, pickles and marinated vegetables from all the cultures - I do my own southern style pickles, and can handle the Italian and German, but any Japanese recomendations for inclusion would be greatly appreciated. Every culture pickles or preserves something)

Hubby wants my crab stuffed mushroom caps, and I do them Itialian style (I'll prepare, pick and freeze the crab ahead of time).

Tuna is out, after talking to my purveyers

Maybe a couple of dozen oysters, if I can find any, just to keep hubby quiet

Main:

Grilled Swordfish (or Mahi or Kingfish in a pinch) and grilled chicken breasts with Ponzu

Baked pasta dish, possibly veggie in nature

Miso Slaw

Wine:

Piesporter or Reisling

Dessert:

Kaffee with homemade vanilla ice cream

Probably a Franfurter Kranz, will test this weekend.

I wonder if the Frankfurter Kranz is sturdy enough to do with a sprinkling of Kirschwasser?

Thanks again everyone. As always, any suggestions are always welcome. You guys are great!

:wub:

Anne

For the edamame you can try different types of seasonings to mix it up a little.

What about some kind of kind of plantain or yuca dish as they will be very easy to get in those neck of the woods. A nice appetizer could be small tostones topped with a tuna or salmon tartare.

Probably a Franfurter Kranz, will test this weekend.

I wonder if the Frankfurter Kranz is sturdy enough to do with a sprinkling of Kirschwasser?

I just had an idea. Instead of buying apricot jam, you could make apricot lekvar and add flavour it with kirschwasser or rum. Try and find dried sour apricots instead of the Mediterranean ones.

Apricot Lekvar

1lb dried apricots

Add 1/2 cup of sugar if you are using sour apricots, otherwise don't add any sugar.

Water to cover

Place the dried apricots in a saucepan and add enough water to just cover the apricots. Cook until tender, add the sugar and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat and put in a cuisinart or blender and puree.