• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Ranges @ Home

bigcat39

Hi,

I have a Blue Star 6 burner range. I LOVE it. I did a kitchen renovation this past summer, and prior to buying the Blue Star I read David Rosengarten's piece on ranges, the Garden Web threads, and everything else I could find. I shopped all the major brands, and kept coming back to the Blue Star.

They are not sold everywhere, but worth searching out. I bought the floor model at Paul's appliances in Newark, NJ. With the 3% UEZ sales tax, and a discount for buying the floor model, I paid about 2,500.00 for the range.

I think it was a great investment. I given the range quite a few good workouts, it takes a real beating and works like a charm. I love the open burners, I know some people think cleaning is a problem, I do not. The convection oven is great for baking, and even though it is gas, I find that it maintains temp really well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I think you got a great deal, by the way. I have been quoted 3350 for the four burner. Wonder how I could find a floor model in Atlanta?

I'll look in to it tomorrow.

I have no basis for comparing residential and commercial equipment, but we have been incredibly happy with our 6-burner Blue Star cook top. The simmer on every burner can be adjusted so low that we rarely need the dedicated simmer burner. My favorite feature is the removable center of each grate, leaving a secure wok holder. No more wok rings - yay!

Here is a halfway decent picture of our setup:

gallery_42956_2536_32194.jpg

If you get a Blue Star, you may want to look at your cooking habits and consider a custom burner configuration. With the benefit of hindsight, we would have been better off with both 22K-BTU burners on the front corners and the simmer in the middle back. You probably already know this, but you need a good hood if you get a high-BTU range. Our 42-inch hood pulls 600 cfm, and we still occasionally set off the smoke detector (usually operator error).

If you want to complicate your decision even more, check out the GardenWeb threads on induction burners.

I have no basis for comparing residential and commercial equipment, but we have been incredibly happy with our 6-burner Blue Star cook top. The simmer on every burner can be adjusted so low that we rarely need the dedicated simmer burner. My favorite feature is the removable center of each grate, leaving a secure wok holder. No more wok rings - yay!

If you get a Blue Star, you may want to look at your cooking habits and consider a custom burner configuration. With the benefit of hindsight, we would have been better off with both 22K-BTU burners on the front corners and the simmer in the middle back. You probably already know this, but you need a good hood if you get a high-BTU range. Our 42-inch hood pulls 600 cfm, and we still occasionally set off the smoke detector (usually operator error).

If you want to complicate your decision even more, check out the GardenWeb threads on induction burners.

Beautiful photo! You and sharky are killing me with range envy. I want one of these, and I haven't even laid hands on one yet.

Your point about custom burner configuration is one that I've already considered. Why the 22K burners are in the back is a mystery to me.. The Garden Web threads discuss this at length. Many folks there point out that it's a 10 minute job to DIY but that doing so raises warranty issues. Otherwise, there is an extra charge ($200 ? can't remember) for having them do this at the factory. Seems worth it to me.

LindaK: Thanks! If you are making a big pot of pasta, you can use the rear 22K burner without blocking your other burners. For our high-heat cooking, I want the 22K burner in front so I can keep a close eye on the food. The best configuration depends on how you will use the range.

Bruce

Ack! Thanks to this thread, I'm now riddled with doubt over what kind of range setup to have. A dual-fuel range, both for space purposes and because it's the way I cook (I don't like wall ovens).

I was all set for a 48" Thermador, then I didn't like the front dial on the new models. Then, I decided on a big purple Viking, just because. Then, I heard Wolf was a better performer, and also does dual-fuel in 60". Now I want a BlueStar! I liked it with the salamander up on a shelf (one of the coolest things in the world, to me).

But: the ranges only have gas ovens. So I thought BlueStar top, Gaggenau oven below. And now, no BlueStars nearby and they're even harder to service. Grrr!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office