• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP - Rodney Strong

Carolyn Tillie

I received the following press release this morning:

Rodney D. Strong, 78, died from complications of a stroke on March 5th in Healdsburg, California. He had been in failing health for four years. His wife, Charlotte Strong, died in 2003; they leave no children.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of this great man and friend, said Tom Klein, the owner of Rodney Strong Vineyards. “From when I first met Rod in the early 1980s while I was working for consulting firm McKinsey & Company, to when my family acquired the winery, Rod has been a tremendous influence and leader.  We will miss him,” he continued.

Strong was an exuberant, graceful and articulate pioneer of the wine industry in Sonoma County. He was among the first to advocate vineyard-designated wines in Sonoma County, releasing the first single-vineyard cabernet from the County in 1974---the Alexander’s Crown Cabernet Sauvignon.  After a successful international career in the world of dance, Strong followed his heart into the wine business, launching Tiburon Vintners in 1959. In the 1960s he went on to purchase and plant extensive vineyard acreage in many of Sonoma County’s best appellations.  Rod’s passion always remained championing wines from the region.

Rodney Strong Vineyards was purchased by the Klein family in 1989 and for several years following, Rod continued as a consultant, spokesman and advisor. He also was a partner in the winery Toad Hollow.

Details of Rodney’s life and accomplishments can be found at www.rodneystrong.com including information on the auction lot dedicated to Rodney presented at the Sonoma County Wineries Association Sonoma Showcase on July 15, 2005.

Memorial services are being planned. Donations may be sent to the Healdsburg Animal Shelter or the American Cancer Society.

The winery will close in observance of Rod’s death on the afternoon of his memorial service.

Details of the memorial service will follow.

A true giant in the industry here in California - his loss will certainly be felt...

Very sad, indeed. It's a little scary that the "old guard" of the two valleys are reaching that age where we may not have them amongst us for long. They certainly leave behind quite a legacy, though. I can't express my gratitude for how their hard work and willing to take risks has benefitted wining and dining experiences.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher