• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer in France

Pistachio Disguisey

I'll be in France next week. I'm interested in finding some top notch beer that I'm unlikely to encounter back in the states. Consequently:

1. Does anyone know of any interesting french beers that aren't generally exported?

2. Is there likely to be a greater availability of top notch belgian and/or Belgian beers than there would be in the US.

3. Does anyone know of any shops that might be a good place to look for either of the above types of beer?

Na zdravi!

I'll be in France next week.  I'm interested in finding some top notch beer that I'm unlikely to encounter back in the states.  Consequently:

1.  Does anyone know of any interesting french beers that aren't generally exported?

2.  Is there likely to be a greater availability of top notch belgian and/or Belgian beers than there would be in the US.

3.  Does anyone know of any shops that might be a good place to look for either of the above types of beer?

Na zdravi!

In answer to your second question, I doubt it. The only difference is you will be able to find some good Belgian beers in ordinary grocery stores. Another nice thing I remember is the price: about one euro for a bottle of Chimay Bleu in Paris. I pay about four times that in Boston.