• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitter Sweet: a Wartime Journal and Heirloom Recipes from Occupied France (Kitty Morse)

Smithy

Before the advent of eGullet, before I had even heard of Paula @Wolfert, I discovered Kitty Morse and her Cooking at the Kasbah (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), my first venture into Moroccan cookery. 

I don't know why, but I lost track of Kitty. I've now learned that she has a newsletter and a blog, and -- very  enticingly -- a new book out that is part cookbook, part history from her grandparents' items stashed in a box in the closet. Bitter Sweet: a Wartime Journal and Heirloom Recipes from Occupied France (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) looks like it's going to be well worth diving into. 

Her blog entry announcing the book and giving its background is here

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Very interesting, thanks for posting this @Smithy. I have an aunt who lived to 100 years old and followed a somewhat similar path. Her family fled Armenian genocide in Turkey when she was an infant, and then she lived under Nazi occupation in France before coming to the US.

Her cooking though, was 100% French, and she imparted a love of food to all of her children. We have wonderful meals whenever we visit.  😃

• Like 3