• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouchon Bakery

Dryden

best macaroons in the city, hands down, and i am a macaroon fanatic!  but financier's macaroons are almost as good and half the price! ($1.50 vs $3 or something crazy like that)

chefboy, if you've not yet tried the macarons at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, I think you've still yet to try to the best in the city. They are impeccably fresh, delicate, and delicious. Like you, I'm a macaron fanatic, and I've tried every place I could possibly find: Bouchon Bakery, La Maison du Chocolat, Fauchon, Financier, Georgia's Bake Shop, Almondine, Ceci Cela, Tisserie, etc, etc.

Bouchon's flavors are interesting, and they are quite tasty, but they are far too dense/chewy for my tastes.

Bouchon's flavors are interesting, and they are quite tasty, but they are far too dense/chewy for my tastes.

I'm with you, though I might have said "leathery." Have you tried Madeleine, on W. 23rd Street? Macarons seem to be their specialty, though they're displayed in a refrigerated case.

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I'm with you, though I might have said "leathery." Have you tried Madeleine, on W. 23rd Street? Macarons seem to be their specialty, though they're displayed in a refrigerated case.

I've not had a chance just yet, but would like to sometime soon. Although the refrigerated case is perhaps not the best sign :unsure:

Madeline has great flavors, but their macarons are too moist due to the case. I like to let them dry out overnight and come to room temperature.

My friends Tina and Robyn are insane with their macaron love; they haven't made it to a lot of the restaurants that serve them for dessert, but they did a tour of the retail macaron landscape in NYC in April:

http://www.roboppy.net/food/2007/04/the_gr...nt_of_2007.html

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I'm really shocked at the quality of the coffee they serve here. It reminded me of reading Ruhlman's account of his French Laundry meal. He commented on everything but the espresso. I've eaten at a few top level dining rooms and have yet to have an espresso that rivals someplace like Espresso Vivace in Seattle, or Stumptown in Portland, or Intelligentsia in Chicago.

It isn't hard to make great espresso, and I'm just shocked that so many foodies are missing out on what it can be.

• 4 months later...

I know that at this point, no one cares about the macarons or pastries at Bouchon Bakery. But, for those who do, I had a rather disappointing run through four of their flavors recently. Actually, the flavors were the least disappointing part. I actually liked the Bananas Foster and the Peaches and Cream. But, the macarons were shockingly gummy and chewy. Only one of the four was decent.

Also, what is up with the large macarons only. I noticed the smaller ones in the pre-packaged boxes, but they were dipped in chocolate. Why would they do that? :huh:

We also tried a Turtle Tart, which was rich and cloyingly sweet. It was very dense.

The Doughnut (simply sugar-dusted) had a different texture than we expected. It was less like a traditional, fluffy yeast dough, and it wasn't the denser, crumbly cake dough. It was like brioche. And it was dry. I don't like brioche to begin with, and dry brioche is the kiss of death.

A more detailed review can be found at the ulterior epicure.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com