• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My kids' school bans homemade goodies

Rinsewind

I also understand the allergy issue-- and would be more amenable to that as an reason for store-bought. As I mentioned earlier, the school has a no peanut or peanut products rule for all classes, even when there are not peanut allergies in the class. Most of the food the students eat is prepared in an on-site kitchen (it's a private preschool and tuition includes meals). Also, all student allergies are required to be listed prominantly in each class-- in case there's a substitute, and to avoid confusion. The rule is not made by the state (although neither of my kids is old enough yet for public school-- I'll find out when they get there), but rather by the corporation that owns the preschool.

I spoke yesterday with my older child's (almost 5 years old) lead teacher. She says that she has always made judgements about when *not* to distribute a homemade item based on her familiarity with the student, his or her parent(s), and what the item itself looks and smells like. She is, however, and experienced teacher (50 years old) that has a good relationship with the parents and kids. She told me that she's willing to let me distribute homemade items because she's confident that they are sanitary and she knows I always check the board for allergies. But, again, she's an older teacher and is willing to ignore corporate rules she deems unneccesary in certain situations. The teachers in my daughter's room (toddlers) are younger and unwilling to bend the rules for fear of losing their jobs (I didn't ask them to, by the way, just spoke to them about the policy in general). They expressed confidence in the cooking of most parents (as I mentioned earlier, emphasizing that they would happily consume homemade baked goods themselves if I brought them in for the teachers), but needed to comply with the rule. Fair enough.

I also spoke with the director yesterday. I just mentioned that while I understood the rule, I thought it was unfortunate. She agreed, said she also didn't like it and hasn't had any trouble at our school, but she understood the caution of the corporate office.

So, the basic story from the school is that they also don't care for the rule, but need to follow corporate policy just in case there is a problem. I think the director knows about my son's teacher's willingness to ignore the rule, but employs a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

As for the store-bought goodies bake sale, well, what can I say. The parents buy little baggies of Chips Ahoy and Oreos as just a token way of contributing money for playground equipment and so forth. It is a farce, I agree. But I also feel the teachers are excellent, work hard, and are already underpaid and I'd rather the corporate budget go to their salaries. I don't mind contributing for extra equipment and so on.

Given my personal thoughts, I would still rather have my child take a chance on eating someone else's home prepared food (and since this daycare is affiliated with a university, there are many foreign students who could shared their home cuisines) than have something gummy from Wal-Mart any day of the week. But I'm not making the rules.

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

So, the basic story from the school is that they also don't care for the rule, but need to follow corporate policy just in case there is a problem. I think the director knows about my son's teacher's willingness to ignore the rule, but employs a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

What you describe is a common enough situation and it is becoming more and more common as "corporate rules" become more and more (insert descriptive word of your choice here).

There's something terribly wrong with this picture as a way of living life, whether it is about a cookie or about (again, insert whatever comes to your mind in this situation here - each person has a different idea of which "rules" they would fear having disrespected and broken ).

It is spooky and it is disheartening, and there is no easy answer. And to my mind, it is "not just a cookie". It is about a way of doing things and about a way of being.

It is about trust and about truthfulness, it is about taking the time to know the people that are around one and/or in one's care, and it is about people taking responsibility for their own lives in each detail rather than demanding or expecting that someone else (i.e. a corporate or governmental power) will do so for them.

When these sorts of rules are commonly in place, it starts to seep into the minds of the people who must follow them or bend them that perhaps none of the rules that are in place are really very "meaningful". It becomes a world where rules are bent more and more often, for there is a creeping sense of disrespect for the entire environment in general.

And I can not say that any single time that I personally have tried to have a school rule of this sort be reconsidered, that I have ever been successful. Lots of talk, lots of unhappiness, but often so so so SO very often when it is time to step up to the plate, nobody wants to stand up and do so. ("Oh, dear - I REALLY don't want the - teacher or principal or school board or whomever - to be angry at me! They'll take it out on little Johnny or Susie!!!!")

Pah.

So we continue to live in an environment where rules are not commonly respected and whatever happens happens irregardless of the rules, but nobody can accurately say what happens or what it specifically is because everyone is PRETENDING to bow to the rules.

Think about it.

I wish there were a smilie I could use to soften this post to make it more palatable, and I am very sorry but there simply is not.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)