• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Cooking-- Cinnamon Question

Caarina

Recently, I have been cooking a lot of recipes from Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean and cinnamon has been used in several recipes. (Been cooking out of Diane Kochilas' wonderful books)

After cooking almost exclusively Latin American, particularly Mexican food over the past 10 years, I almost exclusively use Ceylon Cinnamon as opposed to Cassia in my recipes. However, I'm not sure which is authentic in a Greek context.

Anyone know?

Caarina

Recently, I have been cooking a lot of recipes from Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean and cinnamon has been used in several recipes.  (Been cooking out of Diane Kochilas' wonderful books)

After cooking almost exclusively Latin American, particularly Mexican food over the past 10 years, I almost exclusively use Ceylon Cinnamon as opposed to Cassia in my recipes.  However, I'm not sure which is authentic in a Greek context.

Anyone know?

Caarina

This is not an answer to your question, Caarina, but there is a wonderful Greek/Turkish movie called The Touch of Spice (2003, available at Amazon), where there is a lovely scene or two discussing the use of cinnamon (or not:) with meat.

It's just that your question brought this scene vividly into my head:) Great movie about spices and life in general.

Sorry for the diversion :rolleyes:

Your question piqued my interest so I did a quick web search, which led me to the following site: That's Greece: Following Cinnamon's Scent

Hope this helps to shed some light on the question. Be sure to check out some of the interesting recipes that follow.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks for the link! I guess both are authentic. I prefer Ceylon cinnamon for most foods because it is not so harsh. Cassia can be overpowering to my taste. I used cassia in the Greek recipes I have tried, so now I will experiment with Ceylon.

However, I do like cassia in baked goods i.e.... those wonderful quickbreads and cookies made by my mom and grandmas when I was a girl... sigh...

Caarina

However, I do like cassia in baked goods i.e.... those wonderful quickbreads and cookies made by my mom and grandmas when I was a girl... sigh...

Caarina

Stop, Stop! You're making my mouth water! :biggrin:

Good luck with the cinnamon experiments and please let us know how your trials turn out!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”