• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Bialy

mascarpone

There has been so much discussion on this forum about bagels. How about bialy's. Where does one find the best bialy in:

a) Manhattan

b) the outer boroughs (Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn)

c) Westchester/Long Island

and WHY are they superior at these particular locations?

I still dream about the way "Bialy's" used to taste when still being hand made at "Kossar's".

I'm sure they were covered in several threads previously but remember best when eGullet c9overed them with "Mimi Sheraton" after she published her interesting book.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Agreed the bialys just don't taste the same now that they are machined, as opposed to hand rolled.

However, toasted they're still the best in Manhattan, imho. Just wish there was more onion in the hole! (And the price went up 20%; they're now 60 cents a pop!)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Kossar's Bialys; 367 Grand St, New York 10002; (Btwn Norfolk & Essex St); Phone: 212-473-4810

Is this the only place? How about Moishe's Second Avenue Home Made Bake Shope 115 2nd Avenue, New York, NY 10003; (212) 505-8555

Are all NYC bialy's machine cut or is there someone who still hand rolls?

For completeness, H&H also usually has bialys, as well.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!