• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine clubs

scottie

I'm looking for a wine-of-the-month club for my dad, for his birthday. There are lots and lots of low-quality w/mo clubs out there, basically the equivalent of Gevalia. I'd like to avoid those. Can anyone recommend a decent wine-of-the-month club, with care given to selection and quality?

Forgive me if this topic has been previously discussed, I searched but didn't see anything similar.

Thanks,

Scottie

I have two good general suggestions for you.

1. Depending on where your dad lives, some retailers that have good wine selections have such clubs where a couple wines are either delivered, picked up, or on sale for club members. If there is one near where your dad lives, I'd look into that.

2. Many wineries have clubs where they send out a certain number of bottles periodically. If your dad has a favorite domestic winery, this may be an option. Of course, it has to be legal for wine to be shipped to your dad.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero