• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gas Range Blues

Chris Amirault

You probably had limitations with your electric range -- you may not even have realized all of them because everything may have become ingrained -- and now you've got a different set of limitations.

That's right: I definitely had limitations and had gotten used to them -- like going outside to use my propane stove whenever I had to do anything with a wok requiring high heat.

Having said that: if anyone has a magic wand and can turn this into an unsealed, concentric-ring range, give me a call.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Nope: it was a supercheap craigslist.org deal on two pieces of Whirlpool stainless (stove and fridge) from a couple who were moving after 6 months in a new house and needed to liquidate in a hurry.

As I said, the oven is infinitely better than what we had, and there are lots of good features to the range itself: continuous grating (what a godsend), great low simmering and a blastfurnace PowerBurner , and, of course, the responsiveness of gas.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

You might try the Gas company. Here, they will come out for free and either fix the problem or tell you what you need to do.

Since it doesn't cost much to call them, just use the phone and ask.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett