• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find Santander chocolate?

^#2 in Gourmet's taste test! I'm surprised that Michel Cluizel came dead last. I think their chocolate is excellent, though I haven't baked with it.

The Gourmet taste test is what piqued my interest. I normally use Callebaut for baking (due to price point) but the Santander chocolate was rated above Callebaut and less expensivve.

I would still prefer to buy ingredients from a local store as I am not comfortable with purchases by mail. Has anyone seen these in the Lower Mainland?

• 1 month later...
^#2 in Gourmet's taste test! I'm surprised that Michel Cluizel came dead last. I think their chocolate is excellent, though I haven't baked with it.

The Gourmet taste test is what piqued my interest. I normally use Callebaut for baking (due to price point) but the Santander chocolate was rated above Callebaut and less expensivve.

I would still prefer to buy ingredients from a local store as I am not comfortable with purchases by mail. Has anyone seen these in the Lower Mainland?

I highly recommend Chocosphere. I placed a huge order from the other week and just received my chocolate haul the other day. I was so blown away by the Amedei Chuao bar that I immediately got back on the phone and cleaned them out of the 20 or so bars they had in stock.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I once bought an Amedei Chuao bar in Toronto on impulse. I didn't realize until I got home that it was about $13. I had a good laugh...but I enjoyed the bar.

Can you purchase Amedei in Vancouver?

I once bought an Amedei Chuao bar in Toronto on impulse. I didn't realize until I got home that it was about $13. I had a good laugh...but I enjoyed the bar.

Can you purchase Amedei in Vancouver?

Unfortunately, no. I ordered mine from Chocosphere in Portland along with some Amedei Porcelana, and various Domori, Guido Gobino, and Parlus chocolates. As I said, after trying the Amedei's, I phoned in another order for the rest of their stock - and included some El Ray and Chocovic for good measure.

So, any other terrific chocolate you might recommend?

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

I just discovered Santander 70% a few months ago and it's great - I hope you try it. It's the only bittersweet chocolate I love eating out of hand (haven't baked with it yet, but I'm expecting great results). I'm not from your area, so I can't help you with sources, but I do highly recommend this chocolate. Here's a fantastic UK chocolate site with tons of chocolate reviews. Check out what they have to say about Santander 70%. (It's listed under "Santander - Dark Columbian").

http://www.seventypercent.com/chocop/

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 2 months later...
I'm surprised that Michel Cluizel came dead last. I think their chocolate is excellent, though I haven't baked with it.

Me either - I generally just paint my body with it - and let the puppies lick it off. :laugh:

(I guess that's why I'm always in the doghouse!)

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 2 months later...

Heads up--Meinhardt no longer carries Amedei. :sad:

I got 2 Santander bars today--the 70% and the 65%. I've only tried the 70% thus far, but I was not too impressed. It has an initial fake vanilla smell and taste (rather strong) that I associate with cheap candy, and it is rather chalky. The melt is not very smooth and there's no long finish. $6/100g bar.

Edited by Ling (log)