• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch In Culver City - Any Ideas

maggiethecat

Daughter and I will be checking out the gallery scene in Culver City in a few hours. She's got a couple of lunch recs from a co-worker at the LA Phil, but hey! I'm signed onto eGullet, the best on-the-fly source of resto info around. What's good in Culver City?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

La Dijonnaise Restaurant

6703 Washington Blvd – Culver City -casual but tasty quick french stuff (around the corner from surfas--see below)

Versailles

10319 Venice Blvd. Culver City

310/558-3168). Great Cuban food--fried pork chunks, baby

Surfas Cafe

8777 W. Washington Blvd. Culver City--amazing kitchenware place, with a brand new lunch place that is getting great buzz---haven't gotten a chance to lunch, but the stuff surfas carries makes it worth a visit, even if the food isn't...but i hear it's great!

and beacon

3280 Helms Ave., Los Angeles, CA, (310) 838-7500 (also around the corner from surfas, and across st from la dijonnaise---haven't been, but buzz is great)

bon appetit!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Maggie,

You can't go wrong with the above suggestions.

I ate at Beacon. It is wonderful. Kazuto is doing what he does best.

Another French restaurant that's listed in the LA Times: Bistro de l'Hermitage on Culver Blvd.

If you check the LA Times Food Section Digest, LA Times food critic did a short write-up on the Surfas Cafe.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

We had to head off to Culver City before you'd had time to reply to my plea, but we did hit one of the places on your list: Bistro de L'Hermitage. The high point was the whole steamed artichoke starter, which is kind of sad. My magret salad was short on the magret, my pan-fried sanddabs were likely frozen tilapia, and my daughter's lamb stew was tasty, but miniscule in portion size. The service was pleasant, but my daughter was half-way through her artichoke before I had a chance to remind the waitress that she's forgotten my salad. Two kir royales, no coffee or dessert, tax and tip, a hundred bucks. Most of us cook this stuff better at home, trust me. But, it wasn't teribble, and we had fun sitting outside and chatting about the next place Honor had planned on my tour: Surfas!

Hands down, the best cooking supply/fooderie combo shop I've every been to, and I've hit many the restaurant supply joint in many the town. Surfas is a treasure.

On the way out of town my daughter pointed out Versailles and sang its praises.

I'll be heading back to Culver City next trip -- more galleries to visit, Versailles on the list, and a pilgrimage to Surfas. Thanks guys, for all your suggestions.

We're off to Ojai tomorrow. Does anyone have a favorite restaurant there?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com