• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Nice dinners last night and big congratulations to all, including those who have decided to publicly or privately join along with the quitting. I'm rooting for all of you.

My dad stopped a lifelong smoking habit for good at 70 for which we are grateful and proud. He is in good health overall, but it is sad that his lifelong smoking has contributed to PVD (peripheral vascular disease). The end result is that while he is relatively healthy in other ways, at 75; he can barely walk. It is very sad that he has this burden, and tough for my younger mother as well. His condition is also in stark contrast to that of all their non-smoking contemporaries and definately makes for a different retirement. Many of these people smoked earlier as well, but quit in the 1960's and 70's. So, I don't believe it is a relativley benign choice that may "just" shorten your life. It can really decrease the quality of many of the remaining years, as well, and this is without mentioning the increased risk of debilitating strokes. (I didn't plan on posting this, but was prompted to do so by an earlier post).

Anyway, I'm so glad that you are all taking the plunge to really kick this, and to be free of the habit for many different reasons! I might send this thread to my sister and brother-in-law who have been trying to commit to quitting (and who love good food, too).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone cooks tonight from the Chinese Cooking Pictorials. I know the MaPo Tofu is on my personal list to try soon.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Get the patch! What's with this cold turkey craziness?

Nicotine is not the problem. Though it's an extremely powerful drug, the physical addiction is pretty weak. After all, smokers go through a five-to-eight hour withdrawal every night, and it doesn't wake them up. Compare that to heroin withdrawal, where the physical manifestation is severe. Having said that, I think you ought to use whatever works.

You're absolutely right. Intellectually I know that. The rest of me isn't in agreement.

Chilli again for late breakfast.  With tons of hot sauce.  I'm really craving spicy food.

So far, so good.    I'm finding that keeping busy is the best thing.

Busy is good, napping is good which is what I'm going to do next. But first, the exciting breakfast and snack pics. :biggrin:

Red grapefruit and coffee this morning. Although I'm not much of a sugar/sweet fan there are a few things I put sugar on and grapefruit is one of them. I also make sure I section between the skin of each piece, since I don't like the skin much and it makes for easier removal.

gallery_6080_2479_1984.jpg

And another bagel for a snack when I got back from my meeting and running errands. I'm totally in love with these bagels from Whole Foods. They're light and airy and they crisp up wonderfully in the toaster. Taking advice from upthread, I used both butter and cream cheese this time. :biggrin:

gallery_6080_2479_12191.jpg

Tonight's dinner will be honey garlic pork, rice and stir fried asparagus a la tag team asparagus. Ryan has a PD day tomorrow which means he'll be up late and sleep in so tomorrow is a perfect day to think about some baking or something adventurous for dinner. Possibly waffles for breakfast as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I just had (another) apple -- a pretty nice Golden Delicious. Last night, I picked up several different varieties: Jonagold, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn. I've never been able to distinguish much difference among most apples. To me they come in three versions: sour, okay and too sweet. Though it's probably too early for this test, I'm hoping that my taste will come back sufficiently for me to appreciate the subtleties.

But now, in addition to a cigarette, I want one of Marlene's bagels.

Does anyone know where pink/red grapefruits came from? Were they whites that were bred for pink, or are they a truly separate variety? And more important, is anyone growing whites? I never see them anymore.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Here's a suggestion for making yourself hungry in the morning: on waking, drink a cup of hot water with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice in it. When I did this, I was ravenous within about a half hour. Otherwise, I can go for hours without food.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I just had (another) apple -- a pretty nice Golden Delicious. Last night, I picked up several different varieties: Jonagold, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn. I've never been able to distinguish much difference among most apples. To me they come in three versions: sour, okay and too sweet. Though it's probably too early for this test, I'm hoping that my taste will come back sufficiently for me to appreciate the subtleties.

Have you ever had Arkansas Black apples? I first had them when I visited my MIL in Asheville, NC several years ago. They have striking red-black skin and firm, white flesh. The flavor was complex, not too sweet or tart. I loved them, and I wish that they were available here in the midwest. I find Fujis and another variety called Pink Lady to be too cloyingly sweet. I like Galas best, or the Haralsons off my own tree.

Does anyone know where pink/red grapefruits came from? Were they whites that were bred for pink, or are they a truly separate variety? And more important, is anyone growing whites? I never see them anymore.

Here's a link to information provided by Purdue University:grapefruit

It appears that all pink-fleshed varieties are sports (mutations that were then grafted onto rootstock, as opposed to being produced from seed) of pale-fleshed grapefruits. Somewhere I read that most grapefruit juice is made from pale varieties, with enough red juice added to color it, because straight red grapefruit juice supposedly turns brown fairly quickly. I can't remember where I read that, however. I remember that Texas growers had a huge campaign in the 80's for "Ruby Red" grapefruit that was very succesful. I think that consumers now prefer red-fleshed grapefruit for the same that orange carrots are preferred. It's all basaed on perceptions that one color is better than another.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

I am home from the Asian market, and absolutely starving. So, I'm eating a bahn mi.

gallery_6263_35_19457.jpg

The bahn mi at the deli counter of this place is absolutely outstanding. The rolls are crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, as they should be. Lots of little goodies on them, too. I've thought about making bahn mi myself, but when I can get them for $1.75 each, why bother? When the lady sees me coming, she always pulls one out and adds a few more peppers and more cilantro for me. Their deli also had things like a noodle soup, a noodle salad, steamed buns (that's what they call them, they are a Thai food that is tapioca something formed around ground meat and steamed), summer rolls, etc.

This is a very nice Asian market with lots of variety. I forgot to take my camera, but will be back there on Sunday, so will take pics then. The one thing I couldn't find was fermented black beans. I should have thought to ask, but didn't. Do they come in jars or bags?

I'm still debating what to fix tonight. I know I'm making ma pu tofu, which no one will eat but me (well, Diana and Paul might have some). I'd better look at the pictoral again with an eye to what I purchased.

So far, so good. I've been avoiding stores that sell cigarettes. I haven't had that many urges, but they come at strange times. Like when I got up at 3:00 am to pee. I figure that I need to take this one hour, or one minute, at a time.

I'm also feeling spacey and disorganized. Although I had a list at the Asian market, I forgot a couple of things on the list, and just sort of wandered around.

Wow, this sandwich is great. The cuke and carrot strips are nicely marinated.

Marlene, Dave, Brooks, Maggie, how are you doing?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Is it just me or do Canadian bagels not have holes in them?

They have holes in them. These are baked on the premises at Whole Foods. I dunno, maybe the holes are smaller than normal.

Marlene, Dave, Brooks, Maggie, how are you doing?

Rotten thanks. A two hour nap was no help and was full of weird dreams, I'd rather not go back to sleep. In fact so bad, I've given in and bought the patch which also irritates me to no end.

I'm off to pick up my son and contemplate dinner and read the instructions on the patch box.

Marlene

Rotten thanks. A two hour nap was no help and was full of weird dreams, I'd rather not go back to sleep.  In fact so bad, I've given in and bought the patch which also irritates me to no end. 

I'm off to pick up my son and contemplate dinner and read the instructions on the patch box.

I'm awaiting reports on the patch. I certainly hope I'm not as crabby tonight as I was last night, or you might be reading about me in the paper.

Have you ever had Arkansas Black apples?  I first had them when I visited my MIL in Asheville, NC several years ago.  They have striking red-black skin and firm, white flesh.  The flavor was complex, not too sweet or tart.  I loved them, and I wish that they were available here in the midwest. 

I get them here in Toledo - I love them. And, I love that they are dark red enough for my daughter to eat. She told me she'd only eat red delicious apples (b/c they look like an apple - four year old logic), but those gross me out. So I trick her. :biggrin:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Marlene, your braised short ribs looks so *damn* good that I decided that is what is for dinner tonight. Its in the oven now, except the store didn't have short ribs. They had beef shank @ $2.79/lb-which I found intriguing since I've only had veal shank before- and they looked wonderful so that is what I'm braising. I took some pix and will post them if you want. Smells good!

Buck up baby! You CAN do it!!!!! Every craving gives you the opportunity to make a choice. Choose to be smoke free!

Genny, we'd love to see your pics. I do like that recipe. Beware of how rich that sauce is though! So folks, tomorrow is a "free cook" day for the three of us, and I confess, I have no idea what to make. I need some ideas in case I need to go shopping.

I do have the ingredients for a beef stir fry (there's snow peas in it, can I consider that a green veggie?). Don is normally the stir fryer in the house but I could give it a shot. Or what else takes your fancy? No fish. Unless of course Whole Foods has some decent halibut in which case I could try fish and chips again.

Marlene

So far, so good. I've been too busy to get cranky. In past attempts, though, the third day has been when I've hit the wall, so watch out.

Weight gain is not yet an issue either, since I didn't even have time for lunch. I did, however, indulge in the salty-crunchy thing, and I am consuming a vending-machine bag of Munchos, which are superior to Fritos. They're 12-1/2% more expensive, but since I've saved $14 in the last two days, I figure I can splurge. I might even have a second bag.

As much as I like saying ma po tofu, it didn't gain any traction as a dinner candidate. Looks like Sauteed Scallop with Snowpeas for me.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Munchos are hard to find here so when I do, I stock up on them. I might even have a bag somewhere. I also have Old Dutch BBQ chips which Don brought back from Saskatchewan last time, but if I eat those he might kill me.

I'm having coffee at the moment and then will blanch my asparagus in prep for the stir fry

Marlene

I'm doing two dishes for dinner -- Ma Po Tofu and Hong Kong Pan-Fried Noodles. Except that the stuff that you put on the noodles will be on rice since I forgot the damned noodles.

At least I didn't forget to get Heidi off the bus. It's a good thing that the dryer has a buzzer or the clothes would probably sit in their for hours. I wonder how long before this fuzzy-brain gets reengaged?

Genny, we'd love to see your pics.  I do like that recipe.  Beware of how rich that sauce is though!  So folks, tomorrow is a "free cook" day for the three of us, and I confess, I have no idea what to make.  I need some ideas in case I need to go shopping. 

I do have the ingredients for a beef stir fry (there's snow peas in it, can I consider that a green veggie?).  Don is normally the stir fryer in the house but I could give it a shot.  Or what else takes your fancy?  No fish.  Unless of course Whole Foods has some decent halibut in which case I could try fish and chips again.

I vote for halibut and chips. I whispered in Santa's ear and the Waring Pro showed up just after Christmas and I just love it. Thanks for the recommendation! But I would like to see you repeat the halibut and chips because I have done it and it's great - not tried it in the new one yet but as soon as I get my hands on some halibut I will. Right now I am trying to use up stuff in my freezer and refuse to buy any meat or fish until I have it under control.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Like Marlene, I need advice on what to cook on Friday evening. I need to fix venison. I have almost 2 deers (cut up) in the freezer and I need to make a dent in it. I did check out every venison cookbook my library has, but suggested are gratefully accepted.

Susan, I thought you were roasting venision on Saturday? Speaking of Saturday, I want to make a broccoli gratin to go along with my roast (gee guess what the roast will be?). I'm searching about, but haven't found a decent gratin recipe yet. What are the chances of a tag team Brocoli Gratin recipe?

Marlene

Susan, the salted, fermented black beans I buy come in a small, clear plastic bag. Yum.

Since you all seem to be craving spiciness, I vote for each of you to cook the absolutely spiciest, favoritest thing you know how to make. I need some great, incendiary new recipes and it sounds like all of your tastebuds could use a wake-up call.

Abra, I'll look for the black beans when I'm at the market this weekend. I'll just wander around until I find them. And, I have to have something around for the rest of the family that won't set their faces flaming. In an ideal world, I fix stuff that makes them happy, and stuff that is enhanced with hot sauce.

Yes, Marlene, I'm going to roast venison on Saturday, but that doesn't preclude venison tomorrow night also!

OK, gang, let's all help Marlene with a broccoli gratin recipe!

Like Marlene, I need advice on what to cook on Friday evening.  I need to fix venison.  I have almost 2 deers (cut up) in the freezer and I need to make a dent in it.  I did check out every venison cookbook my library has, but suggested are gratefully accepted.

I just got a Swiss cookbook that has a nice recipe for "Emince de Chrevreuil aux Champignons", which is a venison dish using tender vension cut into chunks and cooked with mushrooms, cognac, stock and cream to make a luxurious stew. My aunt makes something like this with venision although we call it by the more German Swiss name, "Geschnezelts" (sic) It is great with rice or buttered noodles. Braised red cabbage or a green salad go well with it as well.

I found a copy of the Swiss recipe online here: here

The person adapted the recipe to lamb, but otherwise it is pretty close. The venison can be marinated overnight if you have time and it is a good idea to crush the juniper berries. Regular mushrooms can be used or a mix of regular and wild, such as chanterelles, if available. I would cook the meat alone in half the butter first and remove and keep warm. Then cook shallots, mushrooms in remaining butter until juice evaporate and then add Cognac, cream, etc. Finally, add the venison back in the end to warm up and finish cooking.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Another question. When I was digging in the freezer, I spotted some pork. Then, when I was rummaging in the cupboard, I found some char sui sauce. So, the pork strips are marinating. How long should they marinate? I know I bake the strips. Should I wipe of the marinate (it's pretty "gloppy" stuff). Did I read somewhere about baking these strips on racks? Temp?