• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco Birthday Cake

rjwong

There's an article in the LA Times Food Section today (25 Jan. 2006), titled We'll pass on the cake

Saveur threw down the gauntlet. In its "Saveur 100," an annual listing in the January-February issue of the magazine's "favorite restaurants, food, drink, people, places, and things" from around the world, we were startled by No. 25: "Costco Birthday Cake." ... Of course, we had to try it.

I don't subscribe to Saveur, so I can't really verify if the Costco Brithday Cake is actually listed at no. 25. Can someone find out, please?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

it is on the list....

(they state somewhere in the intro that the numbers are arbitrary...it isn't a count down, or up, just a list of 100 favorite things.)

edited for bad typing

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

There's an article in the LA Times Food Section today (25 Jan. 2006), titled We'll pass on the cake
Saveur threw down the gauntlet. In its "Saveur 100," an annual listing in the January-February issue of the magazine's "favorite restaurants, food, drink, people, places, and things" from around the world, we were startled by No. 25: "Costco Birthday Cake." ... Of course, we had to try it.

I don't subscribe to Saveur, so I can't really verify if the Costco Brithday Cake is actually listed at no. 25. Can someone find out, please?

Aye, it's true . . . right there on page 7. :shock:

=R=

Edit to add: thanks, chezcheri, for the clarification, above.

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Here you go:

The Saveur 100

And yes, the Costco cake is at #25. And it is not the only odd thing on this list. It's pretty much a cliche to say that "Best Of" lists in periodicals are mixed bags, but just from my brief glance through this list, this bag is more mixed than usual. :hmmm:

Here you go:

The Saveur 100

And yes, the Costco cake is at #25. And it is not the only odd thing on this list. It's pretty much a cliche to say that "Best Of" lists in periodicals are mixed bags, but just from my brief glance through this list, this bag is more mixed than usual. :hmmm:

I have to tell you, I must be really out of it but I cannot say that I recognized 25% of what was on their list ! Looked like random word generatoring, kinda like the names for new housing developments in SoCal :laugh: !

BTW, Miz Duck~ loved your blog, made me miss SD.........

Here you go:

The Saveur 100

I have to tell you, I must be really out of it but I cannot say that I recognized 25% of what was on their list ! Looked like random word generatoring, kinda like the names for new housing developments in SoCal :laugh: !

BTW, Miz Duck~ loved your blog, made me miss SD.........

Thank you! :smile:

As to the list: I didn't recognize a bunch of stuff either. Just for grins, I plugged a couple of the unfamiliar things into Google and had some interesting surprises:

Coffee Cup Coin Purse

Fallen Fruit

Funny, I thought that although I wouldn't like that purse, I DO like the ceramic version of Greek key paper coffee cups at MOMA. A very iconic design, and pleasant to look at. And, regarding Fallen Fruit, what's not to 'get'? If you plant fruit trees judiciously in a city setting, there is one more source for food for people AND animals. I think that's lovely. The idea of giving away leftovers in not a new one, my kiddle and I have bought many fast food meals for the toys, and given away the meals themselves, and I've given away a lot of food through various restaurants. We have packed our car on the end of the day food from many restaurants over the years, and distributed the food in different ways, mostly at local parks, and often on holidays. I think that giving away excess is a fine idea.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Anyone eaten a Costco birthday cake recently?

The last one I had was probably a good eight years ago. I don't remember it being much different from any grocery store cake--lots of thick, Crisco icing and cake mix, right?

Yes Ling, as a matter of fact I have.....

Tada!

gallery_18348_340_239012.jpg

The icing was a good inch thick and tasted kind of like "butter substitute" mixed with wax and a sugar product, while the cake was reminiscent of...well...packing popcorn comes to mind.

That purse is horrid! And I don't get the Fallen Fruit site at all...did you feel the same way, Mizducky?

Weeeeellllll ... no, but that's alright, we can agree to disagree. :cool:

I thought the purse was kinda fun in a silly impractical way--something I might get as a cute gag gift for another New York expatriate. And I actually thought the Fallen Fruit site was kind of cool--yeah, the idea of helping to feed those in need by letting them know the locations of publicly accessible urban fruit trees is kind of idealistic, probably more symbolic than practical, but I think they're right that it's a shame to let all that bounty go to waste when people could use it.