• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect Paris for Parents

cru

I'm taking my parents to paris this March and I'm looking for recommendations on where to take them the first night. They have never been to Paris and I'm looking for that perfect setting in a perfect neighborhood with that typical Parisian atmosphere. However, I don't want a tourist trap or something low in quality. I usually dine at places like Chez Rene, Le Bistral, Bistro Paul Bert, Chez Paul, and Chateaubriand. I'm taking them to those places but wanted something perfect for the first evening. Any suggestions??

I am very anxious to hear the answers to your question, as this is something I always struggle with when visitors come. Strangely I’m not sure I have found the “perfect” place, so maybe it doesn’t exist. In my mind it would be a place like Brasserie Lip or Balzar, but the food would be great as well, and unfortunately I don’t think the food is that good at either any more.

That said, I did take my parents to Brasserie Balzar and Bofinger and they loved them both. I have also taken people to Aux Lyonnais and think that is a very good choice, the room is beautiful and the food has been delicious each time I’ve gone.

Last week I had this dilemma once again since I had a friend coming from London and he wanted something traditional and “typically” Parisian—whatever that might be. The first night we went to Chez Denise which was a lot of fun. I was a bit worried that it would be over run with tourists since it was featured in Anthony Bourdain’s travel show, but even at the early seating it seemed that most people were French. The portions are enormous. I started with escargot, then we shared the cote de bœuf and then shared a Baba Rhum for dessert. It reminds me a bit of Bistro Paul Bert however and I think the food is probably better at Paul Bert.

The next night we went to La Regalade which was great. I had tried to book at L’ami Jean but they were closed for the holidays. I was very happy to go back to La Regalade, since I haven’t been in a few years. We both thought the food was outstanding, but the service is still a bit rushed. But in order to keep the prices low, they have to turn tables.

A place I have considered trying when guests are in town is Chez George in the 2nd. Any thoughts on this?

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I would definitely second Bofinger. Also, although this certainly might give you concerns as a tourist trap is Jules Verne. However, my wife and I and my mother-in-law went a couple of years ago (I have been to Paris about a dozen times total) and found it a very worthwhile experience. The food was better than I had expected (at least it was in 2003) and it is difficult to beat the spectacle of seeing the lights go down across the city during dinner, particularly if one has never been to Paris. Touristy, yes, but worth it (I, myself, enjoyed it immensely).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I am very anxious to hear the answers to your question, as this is something I always struggle with when visitors come.  Strangely I’m not sure I have found the “perfect” place, so maybe it doesn’t exist. In my mind it would be a place like Brasserie Lip or Balzar, but the food would be great as well, and unfortunately I don’t think the food is that good at either any more. 

That said, I did take my parents to Brasserie Balzar and Bofinger and they loved them both.  I have also taken people to Aux Lyonnais and think that is a very good choice, the room is beautiful and the food has been delicious each time I’ve gone. 

Last week I had this dilemma once again since I had a friend coming from London and he wanted something traditional and “typically” Parisian—whatever that might be.  The first night we went to Chez Denise which was a lot of fun.  I was a bit worried that it would be over run with tourists since it was featured in Anthony Bourdain’s travel show, but even at the early seating it seemed that most people were French.  The portions are enormous.  I started with escargot, then we shared the cote de bœuf and then shared a Baba Rhum for dessert.  It reminds me a bit of Bistro Paul Bert however and I think the food is probably better at Paul Bert. 

The next night we went to La Regalade which was great.  I had tried to book at L’ami Jean but they were closed for the holidays.  I was very happy to go back to La Regalade, since I haven’t been in a few years.  We both thought the food was outstanding, but the service is still a bit rushed.  But in order to keep the prices low, they have to turn tables. 

A place I have considered trying when guests are in town is Chez George in the 2nd.  Any thoughts on this?

felice

very good recommendations. I definitely want to try La Regalade again, but not the first night, as it's so far out there. I had considered Aux Lyonnais but was reluctant because of the price tag and the semi-corporate ownership. But it's definitely a place on my list. I've never been to Chez Denise, but I'm hoping to try it this trip. thanks again

I would probably forget Chez Denise, as I went there recently, and ordered the cote de boeuf, which was on the table just a few minutes later, to my surprise-meaning it was pre-cooked!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

very good recommendations.  I definitely want to try La Regalade again, but not the first night, as it's so far out there.  I had considered Aux Lyonnais but was reluctant because of the price tag and the semi-corporate ownership.  But it's definitely a place on my list.  I've never been to Chez Denise, but I'm hoping to try it this trip.  thanks again

You know, Aux Lyonnais is actually not as expensive as you would think. When I went last they had a 28€ menu which was quite good. And it doesn't have a feeling of being corporate at all, unlike the Flo brasseries.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Others have much more Parisian restaurant experience than I, but I took my parents to Le Petite Troquet in the 7th and thought the food was excellent and that the room was as quintesentially Parisian as the come. A tiny little spot, and a Michelin "Bib Gourmand," ie a good value/good food spot. La Patronne speaks excellent English, if that is a worry, and is very warm and welcoming. A quick google suggests that it's been "discovered" by Americans, if that is a consideration.

A fodor's discussion here.

28, Rue De L'exposition

75007 , PARIS 07 ème

Tél: 01 47 05 80 39

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A place I have considered trying when guests are in town is Chez George in the 2nd.  Any thoughts on this?

Felice: I think it's fine for someone who's eaten in Paris before but I'm not sure I'd take 1st timers there the first night.

Cru: Right now I'm taken with Les Anges aka Chez les Anges and La Cerisaie.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I will put in another vote for Aux Lyonnais. i had a superb experience there with my family. It cost us a total of $317 for a family of five. It wsan't cheap, but it was good. The price did include wine for my wife and I as well as applicable taxes and service.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Felice: I think it's fine for someone who's eaten in Paris before but I'm not sure I'd take 1st timers there the first night.

Cru: Right now I'm taken with Les Anges aka Chez les Anges and La Cerisaie.

thank you mr. talbott. Chez Les Anges it is! I'll post my experience apres.

Le Petit Troquet is a beautiful little place for the ambiance, food is good, but only go to the late sitting! La Cerisaie is good too.My personal favorite is Le Troquet not to be confused with Le Petit.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris