• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old sauternes and cigars

jaybee

Saturday we opened a bottle of 1962 La Tour Blanche that my brother-in-law cellared since 1970. We drank it with a tarte tatin that ended our pre-Fourth bbq. It was emphemeral. Sweet, fruity, rich and full of flavor. There was an intense burst of flavor, sweetness and honey that filled my mouth and it was gone in an instant. After swallowing, there was almost no evidence that I had such a powerful taste in my mouth. Just amazing. A perfect compliment to the buttery sweet and slightly tart caramel tarte. The cigar smokers among us finished our glasses smoking 1959 Flor de Canos coronas from Havana. These have been in my humidor for fifteen years. They were perfumy, fragrant and mild. Some things do get better with age!

edited on 7/2 to expand the description of the taste.

Saturday we opened a bottle of 1962 La Tour Blanche that my brother-in-law cellared since 1970.  We drank it with a tarte tatin that ended our pre-Fourth bbq.  It was emphemeral.  Sweet, fruity, rich and full of flavor.  Just amazing.  A perfect compliment to the buttery sweet and slightly tart caramel tarte.  The cigar smokers among us finished our glasses smoking 1959 Flor de Canos coronas from Havana.  These have been in my humidor for fifteen years.  They were perfumy, fragrant and mild.  Some things do get better with age!

Just kill me right now. :smile:

I have never smoked a cigar with sauternes. Two of my favorites. I don't know why I never put the two together.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

• 5 months later...