• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurants with Private Rooms

JVB

Can anyone help me locate a restaurant in Paris that has a private room that will accommodate approximately 30 people? Would like good food without spending a fortune. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

In advance, thanks!

Can anyone help me locate a restaurant in Paris that has a private room that will accommodate approximately 30 people?  Would like good food without spending a fortune.  Any and all ideas are appreciated.

In advance, thanks!

Have you done a search yet? There was a thread about eating places for 6-12 people that got several posts about places with private rooms. One of the guidebooks also lists private rooms but I cannot recall which one.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Can anyone help me locate a restaurant in Paris that has a private room that will accommodate approximately 30 people?  Would like good food without spending a fortune.  Any and all ideas are appreciated.

In advance, thanks!

At the risk of sounding impudent :raz: , why not just reserve an entire restaurant? There are plenty 30-seaters in the city, I'd imagine.

At the risk of sounding impudent   :raz:  , why not just reserve an entire restaurant? There are plenty 30-seaters in the city, I'd imagine.

That's probably not a bad idea. I once reserved Le Timbre in the 6th for a big dinner but it was with other people in the restaurant business who knew the owner. We also guaranteed that we would pay for a certain number and had three courses plus wine.

You may also find that a lot of places won't want to say "no" to their regular clientel.

I have an old Zagats and they have a section that lists private rooms. There are about 200 so I won't list them all (and it's an out dated copy) but it says that the following have private rooms

Atelier Maitre Albert

Bastide Odeon

Beauvilliers

Bofinger

Brasserie Lipp

Closerie des Lilas

Dome

Flora

Fontaine des Mars

Gaya

Grande Cascade

Laperouse

Maceo

Mediterranee

Thierry Burlot

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Both follonica and Felice have good points; indeed taking over a restaurant is a super idea; also, as my friend Paga reminded me tonite, any "Palace" hotel will have private rooms with excellent food. Another thought, I've been to receptions/dinners at places like the Opera Garnier and the Hotel de Ville where their catered food was first rate.

John Talbott

Back in 2002 I booked a private room in the 3-star Taillevent for our group of 24 persons ( I am not sure if it is big enough for 30 pax ) , and the room was classic and impressive . The menu price is the same as degustation menu prices back then : 130 euros for very very good 6 courses , to me it is very good value , especially in Paris ! Check their website : http://www.taillevent.com/

One of the guidebooks also lists private rooms but I cannot recall which one.

OK, the Michelin Red has a whole page of them; unfortunately they do not seem to be at viaMichelin (their online resource.) However the ones I can recommend are:

le Meurice, Goumard, Ambassade d'Auvergne, Bofinger, Papilles, Bastide Odeon, Mediterranee, Maison des Polytechniciens, Maison de l'Amerique Latine, Tante Marguerite, Grande Cascade, Pre Catelan + Petit Colombier. As to size, you'll have to email or telephone, I know some (like Les Papilles + Petit Colombier) have rooms but they are too small for 30. Good luck and please report back.

John Talbott

• 3 months later...

Bonjour!

We are in the beginning stages of planning a party next April for our anniversary.

Lots of friends actually said they'd join us, coming from US and England, in Paris. How fun!

We don't have a ton of money, so don't want anything fancy.

The only place I can think of would be upstairs at Chez Jenny, which is not a bad idea.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Oh, how I wish it could be Le Comptoir! They'd never go for it...

Philly Francophiles

• 1 year later...

There is a free monthly magazine, Newzy that has just published it’s first-ever not-free (3 €) Guide to 530 restaurants tested by Jean Pleumartin, Bruno Verjus and Ingrid Astier, including:

Best private rooms

Senderens

Apicius

Les Saveurs de Flora

Maceo

Laurent

Lasserre

La Fontaine Gaillon

Drouant

Ledoyen

Guy Savoy

Pierre Gagnaire