• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

clarification

Becoming a chef is, I believe, as difficult as becoming anything else, and in many ways more so. I am not a chef and never have been, but I've worked around the industry for a long time and two of my brothers and my only sister are chefs - real ones, and I have a few nieces and nephews of the next generation, rising through the business.

It is intense becoming good at anything worth becoming good at. I'm not saying becoming a chef is more intense than say becoming a doctor or a nurse, where people's lives depend on you all day, every day. But it is damned hard work.

I am now almost retired from a second career. I did OK in the first but didn't reach the dizzy heights (not sure I wanted to). I started out as a dumb rookie full of attitude and ignorance and had to relearn everything I thought I knew. It took years, then I had to quit due to health reasons brought on by the job I loved so much. 

I was shattered, physically and emotionally, and it took me about a year to regain confidence and find a new path, one which, in the end made me even happier. I was lucky. And had the support of a great family. But I had to start out again as a rookie and learn my way. The only difference was that second time around I knew I didn't already know everything - in fact I knew next to nothing.

My point is, I suppose, that you are not going to become a real chef in three months or even three years. I meet so many people who call themselves chefs but are actually just poor line cooks.

If you love what you are doing and are willing to go through the struggles to get to your goal, then, in time, you will. In time. But, if you can, have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. No shame in trying and failing. There is only shame in wanting but doing nothing.

It is not my intention to dissuade you or patronise you with unwanted advice. I genuinely wish you luck, but remember that luck is only what you get to build on - it takes work, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Becoming a chef is, I believe, as difficult as becoming anything else, and in many ways more so. I am not a chef and never have been, but I've worked around the industry for a long time and two of my brothers and my only sister are chefs - real ones, and I have a few nieces and nephews of the next generation, rising through the business.

It is intense becoming good at anything worth becoming good at. I'm not saying becoming a chef is more intense than say becoming a doctor or a nurse, where people's lives depend on you all day, every day. But it is damned hard work.

I am now almost retired from a second career. I did OK in the first but didn't reach the dizzy heights (not sure I wanted to). I started out as a dumb rookie full of attitude and ignorance and had to relearn everything I thought I knew. It took years, then I had to quit due to health reasons brought on by the job I loved so much. 

I was shattered, physically and emotionally, and it took me about a year to regain confidence and find a new path, one which, in the end made me even happier. I was lucky. And had the support of a great family.

My point is, I suppose, that you are not going to become a real chef in three months or even three years. I meet so many people who call themselves chefs but are actually just poor line cooks.

If you love what you are doing and are willing to go through the struggles to get to your goal, then, in time, you will. In time. But, if you can, have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. No shame in trying and failing. There is only shame in wanting but doing nothing.

It is not my intention to dissuade you or patronise you with unwanted advice. I genuinely wish you luck, but remember that luck is only what you get to build on - it takes work, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was shattered and it took me about a year to regain confidence and find a new path, one which, in the end made me even happier. I was lucky. ANd had the support of a great family.

If you love what you are doing and are willing to go through the struggles to get to your goal, then, in time, you will. In time. But, if you can,  have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. No shame in trying and failing. There is only shame in wanting but doing nothing.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Becoming a chef is, I believe, as difficult as becoming anything else, and in many ways more so. I am not a chef and never have been, but I've worked around the industry for a long time and two of my brothers and my only sister are chefs, as are a few nieces and nephews of the next generation, rising through the business.

I was shattered and it took me about a year to regain confidence and find a new path, one which, in the end made me even happier. I was lucky. ANd had the support of a great family.

If you love what you are doing and are willing to go through the struggles to get to your goal, then, in time, you will. In time. But, if you can,  have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. No shame in trying and failing. There is only shame in wanting but doing nothing.