• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The secret life of turkeys from egg to plate

This is not about Gordon Ramsay, BTW ... not at all :wink:

article from the Independent UK

While prices have dropped (not least because of the bird flu scare), farmers breeding the most expensive birds are experiencing a boom. People who can afford it are looking to recapture the spirit of the special seasonal feast: the bird reared since the summer, which tastes like nothing else. "To enjoy meat you need to know where it came from and what happened to it. There has been too much secrecy - supermarkets have driven the prices down, and suppliers have met the demand by doing things that people would not accept if they knew. People have lost touch with where their food comes from."

When you look down into your plate of spaghetti with meatballs, do you pause to consider who is in that meatball? I must honestly admit that I forget that what I am eating had a life ...

Think about the life of that bird as you request either light or dark meat at a holiday meal? That bacon on your breakfast plate?

Interesting article though ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Think about the life of that bird as you request either light or dark meat at a holiday meal?  That bacon on your breakfast plate?

I have had a privileged existence from the view of many on eGullet. When I was living with my parents, I knew my poultry, pork, and beef. I helped raise them from fledgling, calf, and piglet, to chicken, steer, and gilt.

We also have wild turkeys in the area. I don't know if you've seen a wild turkey, but they are homely, homely birds. But, I digress.

From my farm kid vantage point growing up, when you have a producer who believes in his or her product enough to show you pictures through the production (and you are not a commercial packer, etc), you are dealing with a producer who has high expectations of the quality of his or her product, and is not ashamed to show you how he or she attempts to attain their quality.

Buy from those people. They work hard to earn your business, and turn out a great product.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Wild turkeys have been hanging around my house again now that our dog is getting older

gallery_8158_790_31829.jpg

gallery_8158_790_87321.jpg

gallery_8158_790_13470.jpg

It would be kinda cool if they weren't so messy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We literally found these birds on our doorstep last weekend when we came home from NYC. It turns out our housesitter had been feeding them. Now they won't go away. I don't mind them in the fields or within eyesight (actually, I kinda like that), but when they are camped on our doorstep, they leave a lot of droppings that make a real mess and get our dog sick. :angry::wink:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

With the ground covered with snow, I am assuming that you're feeding them .. and the dog can be trained to avoid their "gifts" I rather imagine.

Okay, here's the question: would you consider having one of these birds as a meal? :rolleyes:

They are, after all wild and roaming, looking for food to eat.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'd consider it, but doubt that I would do it. I don't need to and we still like the seasonality of the birds nearby especially when they have chicks in the spring. I have nothing against the concept, though. I have been close enough to them that I could reach out and grab one if I were willing to risk a peck.

Twitter - @docsconz