• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tasters' xmas party

KevV

I recently heard of this event but, alas, couldn't go this past Wed. Sounds like it would have been great.

http://www.winetasters.on.ca/Tastings/2005-06/CasaLoma05.pdf

So, how was it? Did anyone pay the extra $20 and taste the 'Verdelho Reserva Madeira 1905'? (Boy, I've not even come close to trying something like that.)

Edited by KevV (log)

Kev, anytime you come across something like that PM me and I'll add the info to the Toronto calendar....cheers.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

OK Admission time. I was an organizer of the event.

Most feedback was very positive - over 350 attendees, and the only criticisms I heard were the lineups for food and that the bread ran out too early meaning you had to eat the smoked turkey etc on crackers.

But the wines were deemed 'best ever'. Something for everybody.

Best wine (consensus) - the 1970 Castillo Ygay from Marques de Murietta. But lots of raves for the 55 Ch. Canon, the 45 Ferreira Port, the 70 Mouton-Rothschild, the 95 Crozes Hermitage from Graillot, 90 Les Forts de Latour, 55 Pommard, 89 Scharzhofberger Auslese from Egon Muller, 90 Corton Charlemagne, 97 Ornellaia and the 60 Croft and 70 Talor ports.

Surprisingly there was bottle variation on the Madeira (only bottled 5 yrs ago) - but everyone thought it well worth the money.

OK Admission time. I was an organizer of the event.

Most feedback was very positive - over 350 attendees, and the only criticisms I heard were the lineups for food and that the bread ran out too early meaning you had to eat the smoked turkey etc on crackers.

But the wines were deemed 'best ever'. Something for everybody.

Best wine (consensus) - the 1970 Castillo Ygay from Marques de Murietta. But lots of raves for the 55 Ch. Canon, the 45 Ferreira Port, the 70 Mouton-Rothschild, the 95 Crozes Hermitage from Graillot, 90 Les Forts de Latour, 55 Pommard, 89 Scharzhofberger Auslese from Egon Muller, 90 Corton Charlemagne, 97 Ornellaia and the 60 Croft and 70 Talor ports.

Surprisingly there was bottle variation on the Madeira (only bottled 5 yrs ago) - but everyone thought it well worth the money.

If there is ever any weekend type event - I'b be interested. I joined the Ontario Wine Society and I haven't been able to make an event yet. :sad:

I didn't go, but thanks for the heads up on this group. They look interesting.
I'm surprised, as I thought Wine Tasters and this event were better known then they seem to be. I only moved to TO this year, but heard the WT xmas party was highly recommended through the Indep Wine Educ Guild where I've recently done a course.

Estufarian - I think you posted before that you are involved with WTs. (And isn't there some connection between 'Estufarian' and Madeira? Please explain.)

Good heavens! That is almost too much to take in in one go - and that's just reading, not even tasting. In a way I wonder if being able to sample such wines all in a few hour period might be too much. Doesn't it all soon become a blur? (Especially if you don't spit out.)
What was the price for this event?
I think the brochure or site explains - $70 to get in (and 20 wine tickets?) + $20 extra for the Madeira (a tasting that is, not the entire bottle).

Can't complain about that. You could pay around $70 for one retail $25 or $30 bottle in a restaurant. Jeez, I wouldn't even have made an issue about the alledged lack of bread.

I also think it's interesting that WTs has rules for its events like 'please don't wear perfume or cologne', or words to that effect.

As you will see I have been a member here for almost 3 years and this is (I think) only the second time I’ve mentioned Winetasters Society (both times to declare the conflict) so I think I probably can do the commercial without seeming self-serving.

My name (Estufarian) is a riff on the traditional process for making Madeira wine – known as ‘estufa’ in Portuguese. I also run a Madeira tasting group (known as the Estufarians) as well as assist in a few other wine groups, particularly those involving Port. I’m also a Director of Winetasters Society of Toronto (one of nine directors). As such I come to this board from the wine side, rather than the food. My partner (who rarely posts on other food-related sites – and never here) is sometimes referred to as AmuseGirl – and is far more knowledgeable on food than I am.

Winetasters Society of Toronto meets most months, usually on the second Wednesday and most tastings are formal sit-down single-blind (which means the wines are revealed in a list, but you do not know which wine is in which glass). There is almost always a guest speaker who introduces the wines as a theme then comments on the wines after tasting. The group votes on which wines they prefer overall BEFORE the identities are revealed. This format has been in effect for over 25 years as a non-profit organization. A special ‘New Members’ table is featured to assist newer members in assimilating.

Tastings always have a theme – the Directors choose the theme and the wines are acquired to match the theme – this sometimes takes many years if, for example, a vertical tasting is planned. The tastings are charged to members based on original wine cost (guests will pay a higher fee, usually based on market price).

There are also dinners and seminars ‘from time-to-time’ – depending on availability of any or all of speakers, organizers and destinations.

In my opinion the group is best for people who want to consolidate their interest in wine rather than an absolute beginner.

But we’re not always that formal. The best example is the Casa Loma event (so mark your calendars for Dec 13, 2006 – the second Wednesday). This is a chance for our members to relax and enjoy wine with friends (guests are permitted at all events if space permits). The admission price this year was $70 for members and $80 for guests, which includes 40 tickets exchangeable for wine, and a selection of cold finger foods. We find that lower ‘priced’ wines don’t move very quickly and the 4-6 ticket wines (corresponding to a wine cost of around $60-$100 per bottle) tend to be the most popular. The highest # of tickets required is a self-imposed 15 (this year only one – the 1970 Mouton-Rothschild). We always have a ‘special’ wine – usually a Madeira or Port (not surprising given that I’m on the buying sub-committee) for an additional fee (this year $20 to try the 1905 madeira, next year an 1806 madeira at higher cost). Last year about 120 different wines were available for tasting and it was probably more this year as attendance was higher. Most people consume about 50-60% of a bottle equivalent over the course of the 3-hour event. This is a tasting event and we do ration servings. We take great care to ensure that consumption is ‘reasonable’ and rarely (if ever) have any problems with over-consumption.

In response to the ‘weekend’ query, we have found little interest in weekend functions so no longer schedule them, although we do plan a Friday evening event at Southbrook winery towards the end of June. This will be a BYOW event (but with a structure and full sit-down dinner) – more details eventually at the Winetasters website.

If you are interested, please see the Winetasters website. I find it VERY difficult to post on eGullet now as my firewall will not let me access this board anymore (other than read only – incidentally I don’t have that problem with any other food or wine board) and my emails to eGullet attempting to resolve this have gone unanswered (my firewall insists it hasn’t blocked any emails this year). So I have to disable the firewall to post and am reluctant to do this because of the risks that entails.

Until recently I thought of Madeira as mainly a cooking wine. Marsala also came to mind in a similar light. Anyway, what do I know?...

But what an interesting history. I'm no expert and so won't go on, except to quote this:

"Estufa (meaning "stove") is the name of the unique method which Madeira producers use to reproduce the gentle heating and cooling effects of an equatorial voyage."

More info from http://www.winepros.com.au/jsp/cda/countri...pic.jsp?ID=1362

Edited by KevV (log)

• 5 months later...

In response to the ‘weekend’ query, we have found little interest in weekend functions so no longer schedule them, although we do plan a Friday evening event at Southbrook winery towards the end of June. This will be a BYOW event (but with a structure and full sit-down dinner) – more details eventually at the Winetasters website.

If you are interested, please see the Winetasters website. entails.

Umm, it's now the middle of June so check the calendar!