• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite online food reference works

Goat Hill Studio

I live near the Culinary Institute of America, with its great library, but can't always make it there and am unfamiliar with online sites, especially when I'm on deadline and it's snowing, like this past week.

What are your favorite online food reference Web sites, paid or free? If you use free sites, which are the most reliable? If you can only afford to subscribe to a couple, which ones are they?

I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question. Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Could you be a bit more specific when you refer to online food reference Web sites, Frank?

In which areas? There are a bazillion websites devoted to various foods, countries, measurements, specialties, books, writings, etc. etc.

just one example of how exhaustive the sites are ... the Bibliography on Italian Food, Books, libraries & online resources thread ....

What kind of food sites do you enjoy reading? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It depends upon what kind of information you're seeking, but here are a few of the sites I use when I'm seeking a quick fact:

The Cook's Thesaurus

Epicurious.com Food Dictionary

Food History Links

The Food Timeline

Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages

Online Metric Conversions

USDA Nutrient Database

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks for these leads. I wasn't familiar with many of these.

I have used www.foodtimeline.org, but have run into questions about accuracy when I've tried to verify a fact and so wondered about its reliability. Same with www.whatscookingamerica.net. I also like www.epicurious.com and the USDA site.

I've had particular problems researching certain ethnic cuisines, in terms of trusting the sources' accuracy and reliability, that I've written about or wanted to write about. I've been unable to find much on Minahasan cooking and relied on sites by Indonesian restaurants and hotels, but this is a specialized topic.

For Jamaican cooking I found www.jamaicans.com and some restaurant sites but wondered if there were reliable one-stop-shop reference sites.

Do you rely on restaurant and other commercial sites when researching certain cuisines?

I know many books that are reliable food resources, but am less familiar with Web sites. I wondered if any of the world food history or similar food dictionaries, like the ones referenced in Melissa's link, were available online by subscription, for example. The few I checked didn't seem to be.

I hope this clarified my question and thanks for your help.

A

The online information is almost overwhelming when one uses the search term "world food history" ... one example came up from Yahoo which has a number of links:here .... but from there on out, it is simply a matter of sifting out the best and bookmarking the stuff which one considers reliable and useful.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

There are a great many ethnic food sites but the ones to which I turn most often are these:

Carnige-Mellon Computer School recipe list

and Global Gastronomer

Which in turn, has a huge number of links for every cuisine you can imagine.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett