• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

duckduck

duckduck

I did a taste test. Made four batches of buttermilk biscuits, same recipe, pan and ingredients with four different baking powders. All four were a far cry from the Calumet of my childhood and each had it’s own distinct personality. It was really pretty interesting. The contenders were Hain pure foods, Bob’s Red Mill, Bakewell, and Rumford. Each has it’s differences even in the packaging. Hain’s comes in a glass jar, Bob’s in a plastic bag and Bakewell in a tin that you have to pry open and you have to add baking soda to it. So on to the categories. Winners in order listed.

Best lift

Bakewell – more than doubled

Bob’s

Hain

Rumford

Fluffy inside

Bakewell

Hain

Bob’s

Rumford

Even color vs. speckling

Bob’s – pretty even color

Bakewell – small light speckles

Rumford – medium speckles

Hain – darker speckles (but still not bad looking)

Best flavor

Hain

Bakewell

Rumford

Bob’s

An odd note that Rumford and Bob’s has a stronger taste in the crust than inside

and Bakewell has little taste in the crust but a stronger taste inside. Hain’s was the most even flavor inside and out.

I will be moving on to a white cake round with Hain’s and Bakewell.

Ingredients for anyone curious –

Bakewell Cream – acid sodium pyrophosphate, redried starch.

Hain – monocalcium phosphate, potato starch, potassium bicarbonate.

Rumford – calcium acid phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch.

Bob’s Red Mill – sodium phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch, calcium phosphate.

duckduck

duckduck

I did a taste test. Made four batches of buttermilk biscuits, same recipe, pan and ingredients with four different baking powders. All four were a far cry from the Calumet of my childhood and each had it’s own distinct personality. It was really pretty interesting. The contenders were Hain pure foods, Bob’s Red Mill, Bakewell, and Rumford. Each has it’s differences even in the packaging. Hain’s comes in a glass jar, Bob’s in a plastic bag and Bakewell in a tin that you have to pry open and you have to add baking soda to it. So on to the categories. Wiiners in order listed.

Best lift

Bob’s

Hain

Rumford

Fluffy inside

Bakewell

Hain

Bob’s

Rumford

Even color vs. speckling

Best flavor

Hain

Bakewell

Rumford

Bob’s

An odd note that Rumford and Bob’s has a stronger taste in the crust than inside

and Bakewell has little taste in the crust but a stronger taste inside. Hain’s was the most even flavor inside and out.

Bob’s Red Mill – sodium phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch, calcium phosphate.

duckduck

duckduck

I did a taste test. Made four batches of buttermilk biscuits, same recipe, pan and ingredients with four different baking powders. All four were a far cry from the Calumet of my childhood and each had it’s own distinct personality. It was really pretty interesting. The contenders were Hain pure foods, Bob’s Red Mill, Bakewell, and Rumford. Each has it’s differences even in the packaging. Hain’s comes in a glass jar, Bob’s in a plastic bag and Bakewell in a tin that you have to pry open and you have to add baking soda to it. So on to the categories. Wiiners in order listed.

Best lift

Bob’s

Hain

Rumford

Fluffy inside

Bakewell

Hain

Bob’s

Rumford

Even color vs. speckling

Best flavor

Hain

Bakewell

Rumford

Bob’s