• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BC Cheese Vendors

It's that time of year again at work for Christmas cheese :biggrin: . My boss likes to send important people fine cheese (of varying ages - the most basic being a one- or two-year cheddar; really important people get a selection) and has always used a vendor from his beloved Ottawa Valley, but the list has finally become so large it's not practical to ship that amount from Ontario (it's a lot of cheese :blink: )

As designated cheese lady (cool job, I know), I said I'd scout for a good local source, so thought I'd ask the experts here. Any suggestions for a reliable BC vendor/producer? Who would you use to impress? (and yes, as staff I get some of said cheese, so I do have a vested interest).

Thanks in advance.

**Melanie**

As far as BC cheesemakers themselves go, I'm partial to four:

Happy cheesing!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have to recommend a couple in BC (aside from Poplar Grove which was my first choice).

Carmelis Goat Cheese in Kelowna, did a tasting there this fall and it was excellent. They had over 20 different types of goat cheeses ranging from the freshest of chevres to the well aged almost parmigano styles.

http://www.carmelisgoatcheese.com/

Happy Days Goat Dairy in Salmon Arm is my next recommendation. I haven't actually been there yet but the cheese shop down the street carrys a couple of their chevres and both are excellent. I'm a sucker for a nice fresh chevre though.

http://www.happydaysdairy.com/products.html

Carmelis has on-line ordering but Happy Days just has a list of their distributors, although their list is out of date so you may want to contact them directly.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

If you're looking for a wide selection of unique cheeses, then a shop like

Les Amis du Fromage is probably your best bet for convenience, quality

& selection. They carry most of the "boutique" cheeses, and their name has the status your boss is looking for to impress.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Happy Days has a shop in Chilliwack...lots of selection from many vendors, primarily goat cheeses...but a huge selection of imported stuff as well.

Heavenly Cheese

7350 A Barrow Road,

Chilliwack, BC

V2R 4J8

Phone: 604-823-7241

www.goatcheese.ca

For straight up BC Cheese, I highly highly recommend:

The Farm House Natural Cheeses

5634 McCallum Road

Agassiz, BC V0M 1A1

604-796-8741

www.farmhousecheeses.com

Debra Amrein-Boyes is the Cheesemaker. she produces handmade artisanal cheeses from the farm's cows and from local goats milk.

She has...

Cheddar, Gouda, Brie, Camembert, Coulommiers, Country Morning, La Pyramide, Feta, St. George, Chevre, Fromage Frais, Cream Cheese and Creme Fraiche, amongst other things. She also has a small gift shop and sells gelato. In the summer she has other specialty food from the surrounding area as well.

She's got some really wonderful stuff going there.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

For stores I recommend, along with the others, les amis du fromage .

For local cheese makers, aside from those excellent ones already listed, there's also Hillary's in Cowichan, McLennan Creek Organic Goat Cheese in Abbotsford, Natural Pastures in Courtenay, Little Qualicum Cheeseworks in Parksville, the Farm House Cheeses in Agassiz.

I couldn't pick just one to recommend, there's so many good cheeses out there.

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks so much eveyone for the recommendations!

Now I have lots of options to bring to the big cheese (you know the pun was begging to be made..). Previously he's tended to stick with varieties of cheddar but we may branch out.

Les Amis was definitely on my "must-hit" list, and I am looking forward to sampling this evening :smile: . Some of the producers I sampled at the GI cheese fest as well a couple of weeks ago. Neil, if you have a chance I'll chat with you about your contact at Far-Met as well.

Here's what I love - I've managed to find a way to legitimately eGullet at work (trust me, it's a stretch :wink: ).

Cheers, and thanks again.

**Melanie**