• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Shops in Portland

bulevich

Hello,

I am going to be purchasing a couple of cases of wine this weekend in preparation for my big Thanksgiving meal. Where are the best places in Portland for wine selection and value? If anyone knows who carries Oregon pinot noirs, I'd appreciate that info as well. Thanks again.

Your best value and general selection is up Forest Ave at:

RSVP Discount Beverage and Redemption Center

887-889 Forest Avenue

Portland, Maine 04101

(207)773-8808

Downtown, these guys have been around for a year:

Downeast Beverage

79 Commercial Street

Portland, Maine

(207)828-2337

I see favorable eGullet.org comments on this place but I haven't been in:

The Clown

121 Middle Street

Portland, Maine 04101

(207)756-7399

Favorites of mine is (in the old port):

Green Grocer

211 Commercial Street

Portland, Maine 04101

and in the West End:

Aurora Provisions

64 Pine Street

Portland, Maine 04102

(207_871-9060

I haven't been in:

Aubergine Wines

555 Congress Street

Portland, Maine 04101-3308

(207)874-0680

-or-

Portland Wine & Cheese

57 Exchange Street

Portland, Maine 04101-5000

(207)772-4647

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

if you feel like traveling.. there is always the NH Liquor stores..

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Not necessarily applicable, but I found a wholesaler in South Portland called www.sopowine.com today. Originally from Nashville, this couple moved to Maine 18 months ago. They focus on smaller, independent wines. The website has a long list of product and a call to them will yield a retailer. Oregon wines from Eola Hills.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

A couple of suggestions/comments:

Rosemont Market and Bakery on Brighton Ave is a great place for selection and value. (This is the buyer from the previous incarnation of Green Grocer).

The Clown is terrific, very knowledgeable staff and thoughtful selection (The store is just beautiful regardless, Antiques on main floor with art gallery in back. The wine shop is in the "cellar", very charming. Very heavy on Italian wines, though)

I hear the selection is improving at Hannafords (don't laugh!) and their prices are the lowest. They do carry some very nice labels and while I haven't looked in a while, I hear its getting even better. I'm just sayin', when talking *cases* at a time, this may be a wise option.

Speaking of Sopo Wines, there's a wine tasting of "Thanksgiving wines" on Friday 11/18 from 5-7pm at Culinary Collections in South Portland (just between us, right?!) Culinary Collections would be another option although I have no knowledge of their prices but the selection looked pretty good.

BTW, Aubergine Wines is now 555 (the restaurant) and Portland Wine and Cheese is a gift shop I think.

Oooh, gotta run.