• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Shops and Good, Everyday Wine

Chris Amirault

I was in Brooklyn this past weekend and had the distinct pleasure of spending twenty minutes in The Greene Grape. As the website states, this shop is devoted exclusively to "everyday wine made with integrity, skill and pride," and while I haven't tried everything there, it seemed excellent.

Their approach is to cultivate relationships with producers of artisanal wines made at the lowest price points, and to keep their on-hand stock food-friendly, pretty limited (there were about one hundred or so bottles on display there, I believe), and varied. My host got a Lauradores de Feitoria Vinho Tinto 2003 for 12 bucks, which was a hell of a lot more interesting than one of the Big Boy Chards, let me tell you.

If I lived in Fort Greene, I'd be there every other night. I'd rather have a month's worth of interesting wines at dinner than three bombshells, and I'd enjoy being able to try such a wide range of varietals to boot. Made me wonder if there were any other shops in your area that support good, everyday wine first and foremost, and leaves the Bourdeaux futures and Penfolds Grange display cases to other folks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

In my neck of the woods, the Mid Atlantic, Moore Brothers fits the bill.Sounds very similiar to the shop you describe.Moore Brothers also goes the extra step of shipping wines and keeping the stores at a constant 55 degrees. It's always fun and educational to drink Cahors, Marcilliac, Cru Beaujolais, Madiran, Irancy, etc. Than be force feed the latest Cali fruit bomb.

I believe they are still on target to open a store in NYC.