• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

post-Thanksgiving baby dedication

bavila

We'll be having my son's dedication (our version of a baptism or naming ceremony) on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The church service is at 9, and I'm thinking of having brunch at the house around 11:30 or noon. What should we serve? I'd like to avoid sit-down items, and make-ahead or at least most-of-prep-ahead would be necessary. The only thing I'm pretty sure will be on the menu will be my very popular pumpkin bread. Maybe some orange-cranberry scones. What about a protein?

Thanks!

B

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I just learned about something called a "Maryland Ham". As I understand it, it's a ham which has been rolled around a kale stuffing. I think that they can also be purchased. A sister of a friend lives in Maryland and makes this each year for large family functions.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm not a native Marylander, so I've never actually had the Maryland ham, but have heard of it.

I was also thinking along the mini-quiche line, or maybe individual savory custards (saw a recipe on epicurious for chorizo and mushroom corn custard).

But I like the ham thing. Which makes me think...ham biscuits. More of a Virginia item, but I did live there once upon a time. My neighbor made ham biscuits with sweet potato biscuits, yum.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

A frittata - pancetta/mushroom/chesse, or herb, or jalapeno/crab/fontina. How 'bout a big ass glazed ham? A lot easier to deal with than turkey (which everyone just ate three days earlier). I do one involving either apple/mustard glaze, or a Cointreau/brown sugar one . . . and it's edible hot, warm, room temp. Whatever.

Edited by Claudia Greco (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely stay away from Thanksgiving fare. By that time, I think most people are tuckered out from turkey. :)

I like the idea of a brunch though. I host an annual Mother's Day brunch and I serve:

Creme brulee french toast (you can prep the night before and bake on Sunday morning for 35 mins.)

Fresh fruit salad

Assorted quiche (also can be prepped and cooked in advance. Freeze until you need it. Just thaw overnight in the fridge and heat up on Sunday)

Sour cream coffee cake or a blueberry streusel coffee cake (both can be baked ahead of time and frozen)

Sausage

Home fries

Freshly whipped cream & maple syrup

Coffee

Tea

Juice

Mimosas

One year I had a lox platter with onions and capers, along with mini bagels (I live in NYC, so I have access to freshly made bagels. My local bagel shop will do minis for you if you call a day ahead), assorted flavored cream cheeses, butter and preserves.

Edited by Kris (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to tell what I served. I was able to do (almost) all prep the day before except for the biscuits, which my neighbor (an excellent baker) did for me on Sunday morning -- I just had too much going on to be able to do it! Ham was glazed and brie was baked right befor guests arrived. Here's the menu:

Veggie crudite with buttermilk peppercorn dip (Martha's Hors d'oeuvres handbook)

chilled shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce and mustard tarragon sauce (Martha)

baked smoked ham with orange glaze (Martha)

biscuits: buttermilk, cheese, and pancetta sage

baked brie topped with honey, with grapes and apples

bowls of nuts and olives

nice store-bought chocolates

mimosas

kir royales

coffee & tea

juice

sodas

If we hadn't been at church right before the party, this menu would have been a total breeze to execute. It was still pretty easy, but without my neighbor doing the biscuits, I'm not sure what I would have done. Thanks for everyone's input!

Bridget Avila

My Blog