• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ki Experience

SYoung

Since I work in the financial district, finally went to Ki Restaurant at west side of BCE Place on Wellington/Bay. The decor is modern Japanese and the place is big with a big bar area. I went last Friday and the bar got busier as the night went on with mostly young professionals in their 20's and 30's making up the clientele. Good ambiance but the bar was a bit noisy (a lot of people), a little bit like a busy hip New York restaurant. They definitely put some money into interior design.

The food is Japanese to Japanese fusion. My work colleague and I ordered 3 appetizer maki sushi to share. Not bad. Not the best Japanese food in Toronto, but still pretty good considering this is a restaurant that also serves Western style steaks and ribs. The lobster maki was the best of the bunch.

For the mains, I ordered ribs which came highly recommended by the waiter, and my work colleage ordered lamb. The ribs were pretty tasty but was burnt on one side to the point where certain areas of the rib were all black. I just cut those pieces aside, no big deal. When then waiter later asked how the food was, I mentioned that the ribs were slightly burnt but otherwise fine.

Well... the manager came shortly thereafter and said that he would like to replace the burnt ribs. I said that it was fine and not a big deal and I was almost done with it anyway. Then he said that he would not charge us for the ribs. I said it was not necessary but he insisted. This generosity was unexpected and much appreciated. We ended up giving a bigger tip. Both of us commented on the great service.

For dessert, I ordered the cheesecake and my work colleague ordered creme brulee. Both came in 3 different flavours with asian touches such as greeen tea cheesecake and ginger creme brulee. Interesting. Again, not the best, but not bad.

Overall, the food was fair to pretty good for the price. I already made a reservation again for this Saturday with my wife and friends. Excellent service, great ambiance and decent food.

Thanks for the review. I went by around 9:00 or so one night looking for some take out to bring back to the office. I wanted to paruse the menu as I walked to another place I usually go and thought I would check it out. Sadly no menu to take away (and no take out) - I left a card and they said they would fax the menu but it still has not arrived yet. No worries though as I saw a bottle of Karl Lawrence Cab being brought out to some diners as I walked in briefly. As such I will need to go back anyway to see what else they have. Odd wine for a Japanese place but I guess given the note regarding the person in charge of the wine earlier it is not that surprising - and I guess given the note about creme brulee and the steaks/ribs being on the menu perhaps it is not too odd. Damn good wine to have on the menu. Anyone know who the agent is as I would not mind picking up a case or two? The place looked like a good place to be. Looking forward to trying it out.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

The Karl Lawrence cab was not out of place in their wine list that was quite extensive for an asian type restaurant. I especially noted the Charles Melton Nine Popes (one of my all time favorate Aussie) that cannot be found anywhere in Toronto as far as I know. Their mark up was fair too, about 100% on average. The Nine Popes was $100 at the restaurant and sold at the LCBO for about $50 last year when it was still available.

I suspect their Sommelier April Kilpatrick has a lot to do with their wine list. April is a well regarded and well trained sommelier - she was at Ruth's Chris for 7 years and in 2004 (I think) won the CAPS Best Sommelier of Ontario award.

Good to know you thought the wine list worked - and I like that you appear to have the same tastes that I currently do. Without having the benefit of the menu, I would have thought that a big full bodied young cab from Herb Lamb/Morisoli would have overpowered delicate Japanese flavours, but as I noted earlier, with steaks and ribs on the menu, perhaps my impressions of what Ki is about and the wines I would have expected to see are skewed - again these comments are without having the benefit of the menu or the wine list - perhaps there are wines that I would have thought would be there - such as some Joly's or some Didier Dagueneau's.

I had a 2002 Nine Popes the other day when I went out for dinner and brought my own. Could have used a little air but I guess that is my own fault but it was pretty damn good wine. Picked it up in Vancouver for $45 so at $100 at the restaurant, given the lack of availability, that seems pretty good. I suspect the 2002 should be coming to Toronto in the early spring, likely through Classics as was the case with the 2001 that I have bought have not yet opened.

Edited by mkjr (log)

The Karl Lawerence comes in through Barrel Select (416.984.9463) ask for Daun

The Nine Popes from B&W wines (416.629.9193) ask for Jeremy

Unfortunately April has now left Ki and moved back to Ruth's Chris.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

The Karl Lawerence comes in through Barrel Select (416.984.9463) ask for Daun

The Nine Popes from B&W wines (416.629.9193) ask for Jeremy

Unfortunately April has now left Ki and moved back to Ruth's Chris.

Thanks for the info. Just put in an order for a case of half bottles of the 2002 which was all they had left.

Edited by mkjr (log)