• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bring Your Recommendations for 1st Timer

Hello:

I will be in London from Oct 24th to 28th. I am seeking your top picks in the following categories:

-fine dining

-gastropub

-afternoon tea

-snack fare

Please keep in mind that I will be visiting for only a very short time, and that I have never been to your fair city before. Looking to pack in as much memorable eating as possible - food, drink and friends, can't wait!

Thank you!

When I visit a city for the first time I'm always torn between doing the really famous places and finding the really exciting up and coming places. If you use this site's search facility you'll find plenty of suggestions for all your catagories. Here's a couple that lean towards up and coming:

The Ledbury Notting Hill for fine dining

The Gun, Docklands for gastropub

Grocer on Warwick for Asian style snacking or a full meal

I've never taken afternoon tea in London so can't give a personal recommendation.

I too am deeply shocked that you haven't had tea in London for so long. Its the perfect way for you to fill that time between all the lunches and dinners you go to! :raz:

For tea, go to the Lansborough, its exactly how the Earl of Sandwich must have envisaged it!

I too am deeply shocked that you haven't had tea in London for so long. Its the perfect way for you to fill that time between all the lunches and dinners you go to! :raz:

I'll bear that in mind. My preference is always the pub (The Gun in Docklands was the last recipient of my post lunch/pre-dinner trade) but that isn't always a terribly clever idea I am forced to admit.