• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Magazine - October 2005

Daddy-A

The latest issue of Van Mag is out ... the cover festooned with the headline "10 years of Maw." Aside from the stunned look on his face in the "head on the platter" photo :blink: I enjoyed the article, although much of it we have been forunate enough to have read here already. I found it quite interesting that Van Mag would have Mr. Maw write the article himself, rather than having one of the new up-and-comers like Alexandra Gill or Andrew Morrison take a stab :shock: at it.

LINK to the complete article [CLICK]

Thoughts?

A.

The latest issue of Van Mag is out ... the cover festooned with the headline "10 years of Maw."  Aside from the stunned look on his face in the "head on the platter" photo :blink:  I enjoyed the article, although much of it we have been forunate enough to have read here already.  I found it quite interesting that Van Mag would have Mr. Maw write the article himself, rather than having one of the new up-and-comers like Alexandra Gill or Andrew Morrison take a stab :shock: at it.

LINK to the complete article [CLICK]

Thoughts?

A.

Change is always good and sometimes looonnnggg over due!! Alexeandra Gill has the spite and Andrew Morrison is the class act - it would be great to have them proceed with double reviews for Van Mag.

It is all about change isn't it?

Great article charting the changes that Jamie has seen through the past decade. I think it was wholly appropriate that Jamie wrote the article because it about the local food scene - not about Jamie himself. A article by Alexandra or Andrew on Jamie would have been odd - I think it is a little early for a career round up. Those always read like an obituary to me.

Interesting quote:

Some chefs think the worst offenders, the true foodie geeks, are the culinary equivalent of train spotters. Chefs call them “napkin sniffers.” Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that if you’re talking too much about the food, you’re eating with the wrong people.

Not sure who this is referring to.... but I think it is part of the double edged sword of having a passionate dining community that is continuing to develop and learn ALONG with local chefs. Like it or not - if restaurants want knowledgable diners who are willing to spend - then criticism and analysis is part of the process.

You are stuck with people like us.

I think I know the kind of people he is refering to. The kind that order and drink the best bottle of wine on the menu only because they can, not because they really appreciate it.

The kind that discuss at length the pedigree of the green bean on the plate rather than enjoying the moment of eating it.

The tradition and pleasure of breaking bread with friends and family passes them by as they are discussing the diffences in the fifteen exotic salts in their pantry.

The primal pleasure of devouring a plate of BBQ ribs is lost on them because they are too busy dicussing the nuances of the red wine vinegar in the sauce.

You know the type.

Uber-dorks

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I think I know the kind of people he is refering to. The kind that order and drink the best bottle of wine on the menu only because they can, not because they really appreciate it.

The kind that discuss at length the pedigree of the green bean on the plate rather than enjoying the moment of eating it.

The tradition and pleasure of breaking bread with friends and family passes them by as they are discussing the diffences in the fifteen exotic salts in their pantry.

The primal pleasure of devouring a plate of BBQ ribs is lost on them because they are too busy dicussing the nuances of the red wine vinegar in the sauce.

You know the type.

Uber-dorks

Neil,

I was indeed referring to the type of diner who spends an inordinate amount of time (and money) trying to inflict upon anyone within earshot his or her ability to separate the fly shit from the pepper. They typically have an even disposition though—a chip on both shoulders.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Is he still around?

Can I use this as a cover blurb for my new book, Sam? :biggrin: By the way, you're the only member that I mention by name in the article.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

By the way, you're the only member that I mention by name in the article.

Hey...I don't even like chopped liver.

Well, I just searched the article Andrew ... I didn't find Sam. Take heart in knowing that you not only got mentioned, but upthread, you're a "class act."

A.

uber-dork :laugh:

Oh, I take heart alright.

No one but Jamie could have written the article. Someone mentioned upthread that perhaps I should have, but I'm one-fifth the writer Maw is and have next to zero in the way of comparable experience. I could never have done the man justice. That being said, I wish I could have, if only to repay the glasses of help he's poured me.

Not only has Jamie been a great help in getting me set up at the West Ender, but he's been instrumental in steering me to the back pages of Van Mag as well (6 of those Cheap Eats snippets are mine, dammit!). Class Act? Thanks, very much, but I am but a pretender, a colossal fraud of the first order. I don't even like mushrooms. :biggrin:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Would someone please decode the Maw/Salmon subtext for those of us too thick to get it. Thanks.

Nothing sinister here as far as I can tell KT. Maw thought he'd mentioned Sam in the article ... he hadn't. Although I know of at least one earlier VanMag article where both Sam and Keith are mentioned ... fame is so fleeting.

My earlier comments about having someone besides Jamie write the article had nothing to do with his abilities which are, without doubt, stellar. I only thought it would be a good chance to illustrate the contibutions Mr. Maw has made that he might be to humble to discuss himself. Andrew has made a good start at that up thread.

A.

Change is always good and sometimes looonnnggg over due!!  Alexeandra Gill has the spite and Andrew Morrison is the class act - it would be great to have them proceed with double reviews for Van Mag.

Ten years? The man's an upstart compared to Fay Maschler who has been the London Evening Standard's critic for thirty three years. She has her faults, preferences and prejudices, as do we all, but her column is still the first thing I turn to every Wednesday and I'm bitterly disappointed if I find she's on holiday and a guest reviewer is sitting in for her. I'd bet a good few Canadian dollars that Jamie's reviews are the first thing many eGulleters read when they pick up the Van Mag.

Change is always good and sometimes looonnnggg over due!!  Alexeandra Gill has the spite and Andrew Morrison is the class act - it would be great to have them proceed with double reviews for Van Mag.

Ten years? The man's an upstart compared to Fay Maschler who has been the London Evening Standard's critic for thirty three years. She has her faults, preferences and prejudices, as do we all, but her column is still the first thing I turn to every Wednesday and I'm bitterly disappointed if I find she's on holiday and a guest reviewer is sitting in for her. I'd bet a good few Canadian dollars that Jamie's reviews are the first thing many eGulleters read when they pick up the Van Mag.

Often first; sometimes, only.

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Honestly? It's really the only reason I buy the VM. I was thrilled to see the cover when I bought my issue almost three weeks ago, and wondered when the subject would be discussed here, expected to see it brought up earlier. Oh, and I used to like the West Van chinese food delivery guy's stories on his latest delivery experiences, miss them now that the column has been discontinued. :biggrin:

As far as ten years goes, I'm glad for that. It's interesting to see how our culinary choices and expectations have grown and developed from the point of view of one who has grown with them and who has the expertise to understand and comment on them. I appreciate knowing that he knows what our area has and has had to offer, more so than someone who may have just has come into the scene and perhaps expects something else, rather than what we have as our unique and diverse offerings and quality.

ETC cuisine type after realization of error in the wee hours this a.m. :shock:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon