• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Celentano Family returns!

ejebud

I had heard from the grapevine a while ago that the Celantano family was going to open up Italian markets. The rumors are confirmed!! They are opening a store in the group of stores where Toys R Us and the furniture store BO are in Livingston/East hanover called Lets Eat. There is a banner up naming Dominick Celantano as the owner. Click herefor their website. I'm surprised at the location, as it is kinda tucked away on the end unit with lousy visibility from the road, but I''m sure they have a loyal following from the Verona store and if their food is good, they will beat a path to their door. I wish them much success.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I had heard from the grapevine a while ago that the Celantano family was going to open up Italian markets.  The rumors are confirmed!!  They are opening a store in the group of stores where Toys R Us and the furniture store BO are in Livingston/East hanover called Lets Eat.  There is a banner up naming Dominick Celantano as the owner.  Click herefor their website.  I'm surprised at the location, as it is kinda tucked away on the end unit with lousy visibility from the road, but I''m sure they have a loyal following from the Verona store and if their food is good, they will beat a path to their door.  I wish them much success.

Eric

Now if they would only bring back the Celentanos frozen pizza. Sigh

Are these the same dudes that make those awesome frozen raviolis?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

Drove by today and they had a big sign saying "NOW OPEN".

However, when I pulled up a smaller sign was in the door saying they were delaying the opening until noon due to mechanical adjustments (or something similar).

Unfortunately I don't plan to be on Rte. 10 again until next week if I can help it.

If anyone manages to stop by, let us know how it is!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

From the website (the portion " What we are selling" )

"Just call, fax, or email your order………..we’ll bring it out to your car! "

Now THIS I love. As a mobility challenged individual, I will likely drive from West Orange to this location for a good take out meal. There are only so many times I can do a drive thru fast food, or pizza delivery. I like Outbacks Take away option, but hate to drive to Springfield for it.

Anyone been yet, that can give us a report?

Epernay in Montclair will also bring the food out to your car.

Charlie Browns in Millburn will too, if you ask them to and explain that you are disabled. I figure they already have the pick up service.. I called one day and explained I was disabled/mobility challenged, and would they be will to bring the food out to the car. They had me call them as I was pulling into the lot, and they came right out.

• 2 weeks later...
Drove by today and they had a big sign saying "NOW OPEN".

However, when I pulled up a smaller sign was in the door saying they were delaying the opening until noon due to mechanical adjustments (or something similar).

Unfortunately I don't plan to be on Rte. 10 again until next week if I can help it.

If anyone manages to stop by, let us know how it is!

AlisonA

Had lunch there yesterday. Had a sausoge and peppers sandwich and my wife had the chicken parm. Both were excellent on good bread. :smile:

I've now had lunch from here three times. First I went and got take out: a grilled chicken sandwich on foccachia (sp?) with mozzerella and brocoli rabe, second I had them deliver an italian combo sandwich on ciabatta with more mozzeralla, roasted peppers, oil and balsamic, and third I had lunch there where I had the chicken parm sandwich on pizza bread. The first two were excellent the third wasn't so great. I also had soup with the chicken parm, pasta fagioli which was full of everything except taste. Split a canoli for dessert and couldn't recommend that either. All sandwiches were $7.99, the soup was $4.50. They have a soda fountain with Boylan's brands, I'm not sure of the price. There are no bottled sodas which they told me they are thinking of changing as they are getting a lot of demand for them.

The verdict: good with potential to be the best takeout place in the area. Now that isn't exactly hitting lofty hights but we sure need a really good place on/around Rt. 10 at the Essex/Morris border. I do give them high praise for quick delivery. Our food arrived with-in a half hour of ordering and they had to navigate Rt. 10 traffic to get to us on 10 west in East Hanover.

Also, I signed up for their mailing list and was rewarded with a $5 coupon.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

Stopped by today to pick up lunch to go. Clearly they are still working out some kinks but it was a pleasant experience.

The Grilled Chicken Pannini with brocoli rabe was a bit bitter for me, I should have thought it through before getting it as I often find brocolli rabe bitter. The proscuitto one was good. We also had a rice ball - a bit heavy on the spices for me, but then I can be a wimp - and the proscuitto and provolone stuffed peppers. The last were interesting, probably better sliced in a salad than straight up maybe?

The thing that struck me was that when you dine in they charge you by the lb. for your plate (9.99). You can pick any thing from the case and have it heated and put on your plate. Then take it to the cashier and have it weighed before sitting. A bit novel. But most things in the case cost less than that take out so I'm not sure it is a good value.

As for the mailing list - you need to fill out a card at the counter to get the coupon. Don't think there is a URL.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

We had lunch there today. We were disappointed. The set-up is baffling. A server takes your order out of a deli case. However, many times they have to come around the front of the deli case and open it amidst the line of waiting patrons to get something out. I felt bad for the staff. It's a cumbersome task.

Most of the entree options were pasta or some sort of chicken. I ordered chicken francaise, my wife got chicken piccata. Neither were served with sauce, both were reheated in the microwave. My chicken was OK, but my wife's was gamy and tough. She couldn't eat it. I tried it and she was right. If it was cooked today, the store should get its money back. We didn't complain.

It has potential, but they have a lot of kinks to get out. It reminds me of Cullins in Florham Park. It looks good, but it doesn't really work.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

Give us the URL for their mailing list.

Did you ever go to the little deli in a house across the street from the Livingston Post Office?

Haven't been there for a long time. We used to get Italian combo sandwiches there. I always wondered how the guy made a living in such a small place with no real parking. Yet, he persists so either he's very busy or very creative. :wink:

Edited by dbrociner (log)

. I do give them high praise for quick delivery. Our food arrived with-in a half hour of ordering and they had to navigate Rt. 10 traffic to get to us on 10 west in East Hanover.

Will they deliver to West Orange or South Orange during lunch time? I tried to get a menu with prices (i.e. for delivery or bring to my car) but have not gotten one yet. I emailed them asking for a menu to be faxed, but I guess I'll have to call them directly.